• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reckless driving complaint

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

schellboy

What is the name of your state? Texas, but I live in Colorado

I was driving through northern texas on my way to Dallas and was pulled over by the sheriff near Dalhart. He said that somone had complained that I was driving recklessly and that I forced someone off the road. The only occasion I could think of that would warrent this complaint was when I was passing a semi and we were in a slight depression. Everything looked clear, but when I was about 2/3 of the way passing the semi, I saw an oncoming car. I completed the pass, but it was closer than I like, but by no means dangerous. The oncoming car moved toward the shoulder and crossed into the shoulder by about a foot. I believe it was the semi driver who filed the complaint as the oncoming car would have a difficult time getting my license plate.
I received a notice that a complaint of reckless driving had been filed against me. I have to enter a plea agreement of guilty, not guilty, or no contest. The fine is $180, Dalhart is about 5 hours away and I would rather not have to drive down there for a trial. What does a plea of no contest bring? How bad does it mess up insurance? The only thing on my record is following too closely from 4 years ago.

Thanks,
schellboy

S

seniorjudge

schellboy said:
What is the name of your state? Texas, but I live in Colorado

I was driving through northern texas on my way to Dallas and was pulled over by the sheriff near Dalhart. He said that somone had complained that I was driving recklessly and that I forced someone off the road. The only occasion I could think of that would warrent this complaint was when I was passing a semi and we were in a slight depression. Everything looked clear, but when I was about 2/3 of the way passing the semi, I saw an oncoming car. I completed the pass, but it was closer than I like, but by no means dangerous. The oncoming car moved toward the shoulder and crossed into the shoulder by about a foot. I believe it was the semi driver who filed the complaint as the oncoming car would have a difficult time getting my license plate.
I received a notice that a complaint of reckless driving had been filed against me. I have to enter a plea agreement of guilty, not guilty, or no contest. The fine is $180, Dalhart is about 5 hours away and I would rather not have to drive down there for a trial. What does a plea of no contest bring? How bad does it mess up insurance? The only thing on my record is following too closely from 4 years ago.

Thanks,
schellboy

Sounds like your driving record is not very good. I would ask your insurance carrier what effect the new ticket will have. Maybe you can ask for a nonmoving violation; that would cost you more but you would save on insurance. Call the court clerk.

schellboy

Thanks seniorjudge,
How do I get the charge to change if someone else filed it against me (not an officer)? Also, I thought violations were taken off records after 3 years.
If I were to go to trial, would I have a good chance as it is my word against the person who filed the complaint, plus I have a witness who was in the car with me?
Another question I have is that I gave the sheriff who pulled me over my phone number, so the justice of the peace could contact me if there was a charge against me, but the phone number was given to the person who filed the complaint. Is this legal? Would this be invasion of privacy?

Thanks,
schellboy

sharetheroad

Hey I have some legal advice for you:

SLOW DOWN.

There are tens of thousands of fatal traffic accidents in this country every year (33,963 in 2009). And if you're incident was "by no means dangerous", well it only takes a few seconds of difference from it being a slightly tricky pass to it becoming an accident where you aren't "shellboy" anymore, but are instead an inseparable component of a pile of mangled wreckage in which you wouldn't be able to ask for advice from a free legal advice forum because you don't want to drive down and take responsibility for your actions.

And you know what, the driver of the oncoming car wouldn't be around either.

Antigone*

Hey I have some legal advice for you:

SLOW DOWN.

There are tens of thousands of fatal traffic accidents in this country every year (33,963 in 2009). And if you're incident was "by no means dangerous", well it only takes a few seconds of difference from it being a slightly tricky pass to it becoming an accident where you aren't "shellboy" anymore, but are instead an inseparable component of a pile of mangled wreckage in which you wouldn't be able to ask for advice from a free legal advice forum because you don't want to drive down and take responsibility for your actions.

And you know what, the driver of the oncoming car wouldn't be around either.
Slow down:eek::eek::eek: are you kidding me.

How slow do you need this guy to go, this thread is five years old!!!

Dude, you just got the most-idiotic-post-of-the-day award

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">