• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Green Card holder - marriage to non us citizen

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

doka65

What is the name of your state? TX

Hi

I need some advise maybe some can help me.

1. I have a green card (3years) - girlfriend an F1
2. She does not have a SS#

What can we expect if we get married - change of status may be to V1/V2?
Can we even get married here in the us?

Thanks for you help!

ImmigAttyLana

No, she will not be eligible for a V visa and really nothing will happen immediately if you marry since you are only a green card holder and, as such, are not able to confer any immigration benefits on her immediately. You can file the immigrant visa petition on her behalf but the wait time for this preference category is about 4-5 years at this point. If she is in valid F-1 status, however, why does she not have a social security number?

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if I may be of further assistance to you in this matter.

doka65

:confused: Thanks for the reply Lana
the University told her she can't apply for a SS# - only if she had a financial emergency, so she had to work. I also really had a hard time to get her on my insurance and such things w/o SS#.
Can she apply for a SS# anyway? and how ?
Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">