• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I-89

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lestmary

What is the name of your state? SC
We went for our green card interview 6/04, then was told by the local CIS officer that our file was approved 7/04. We waited for the I-89 to come, but it never came. Finally contacted our Senator who informed us his file had not been approved and no one could tell us any information until his file was located. For some reason the Charleston office sent it to the Records Center in Missouri. Why would they do that if it had not been fully processed?

Finally on 1/25/05 my husband's file was (quote from letter sent by the Senator's office) "located and sent to the Service Center for the alien registration card to be produced and mailed out. If the alien card is not received in a reasonable length of time, contact us." I'm confused, this sounds like his green card is being processed and mailed to us. I thought we had to go to Charleston with the I-89 form to get the stamp in the passport, picture, signature, and fingerprinting for actual green card, THEN they mail it to you. What is the correct process after file has been approved? How long should I wait? My husband's work permit expires in May, so I need to renew it soon if this takes longer than 90 days. Thanks for any insight you can provide.

ImmigAttyLana

It may very well take more than 90 days and yes, you are right, you need to have the passport stamped first and do the photos and the prints for the green card (plastic card) to go into production. I would urge you to go to the local USCIS office to inquire in person.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if I may be of further assistance to you in this matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">