• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

shock therapy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mae22

Georgia
My mother had a neverous breakdown when she was 16 she is now 57 at the time her parents had 8 other children and they were poor and did not know what to do to help her, she was not eating or speaking etc. they took her to the state mental hospital where she was administered shock therapy. I beleive that is the reason for her mental state at this time. She cannot form simple words properly and she suffers from anxiety, depression and mood swings etc. she has no imcome cannot work and needs financial help.What legal recourse to do we have? any advise to get help for my mom?

rmet4nzkx

We need more facts.
Has you mother ever worked?
How is she supported now?
Is she getting mental health treatment?
Answers to these questions may help advise you which way to go forward.

mae22

georgia,

She does not work she could not make it through an interview let alone hold a job. She has no income I support her and pay her bills. She is not on any medication, she is too peranoid to take anything. She lives alone in a house that I own and she takes care of herself but thats it she shys away from group things, she has never had a checking or a credit card etc. she owns nothing. I am currently trying to get her SSI but its a struggle. I beleive she was administered those shock treatments at the age of 16 and without consent. I am currently trying to get her records from the mental hospital.

Last edited:
There are a number of things you need to or can do. I'm not sure in medical mailpractice is an issue at this point, statue of limitations need to be checked. Is your mother compitent? If not have her declaired incompitent and have your self appointed her care person. This will give you the legal right to do things for your mother and get you into "doors" where people would other wise tell you they cant talk to you about your mother, eg. new HIPPA laws about health issues. Your mother needs to be on meds even if that means putting her into a hospital to get help. Once she starts her meds she will feel better and possibly be able to function in a better capacity. EST distroys parts of the brain that pertain to function and memory. Now days it is used as a last resort. Your mother may very well be suffering from a Bi Polar disorder with all that you listed. There are very good meds now and alot of people lead very "normal" lives and go on to be very productive. She may not ever be able to hold a job but she may have a better life and be able to enjoy it. Get ahold of your county free mental clinic if you need assistance they will be able to tell you where to go from there. Good luck and bless your mother she has been through alot and bless you for being a great daughter.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

oiseeyuronhere said:
Good luck and bless your mother she has been through alot and bless you for being a great daughter.

My response:

Yes, but apparently, at least at one point in her life, she must have been sane enough to be married, and was sane enough, for at least a little while, to have sex and to have at least one child that we know about, our writer. So, my question is, when did she start exhibiting her behavior - - before, during, or after your birth? What was your childhood like? Was she crazy then?

Did you know that lobotomies were finally outlawed in this country as late as 1972? Astounding, isn't it? You have no cause of action against the doctors or hospitals for the shock therapy your mother received. It was common practice for people who exhibited anti-social behavior in the 1940's and 1950's, and when it came to teenagers, with hormones rushing through their bodies, medical practitioners felt their actions were "anti-social", and didn't know how else to treat these so-called "out of control" kids.

IAAL

ENASNI

Yeah.. IAAL

It still was a silly practice.

Look at Frances Farmer.
Whatever..
I hope whoooa.
I get a fair chance when I put up the fact that I .. didn't vote... no I did vote... no I didn't vote... I don't know stop harrasing me
in this last years election.
hurrumph
come and get me.
Ya know... I think I want me some strawberries....

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

Yes, but apparently, at least at one point in her life, she must have been sane enough to be married, and was sane enough, for at least a little while, to have sex and to have at least one child that we know about, our writer. So, my question is, when did she start exhibiting her behavior - - before, during, or after your birth? What was your childhood like? Was she crazy then?

Did you know that lobotomies were finally outlawed in this country as late as 1972? Astounding, isn't it? You have no cause of action against the doctors or hospitals for the shock therapy your mother received. It was common practice for people who exhibited anti-social behavior in the 1940's and 1950's, and when it came to teenagers, with hormones rushing through their bodies, medical practitioners felt their actions were "anti-social", and didn't know how else to treat these so-called "out of control" kids.

IAAL
I don't recall a time when a persons sanity had anything to do with the ability to reproduce, do you?? And I don't believe that our writer said anything about her mother being married?? Furthermore, there have been marriages annuled under voidable marriage due to this possibility, a person not being sane. I also believe that today the proper word is sane or insane, not crazy. Everyone could be classified as crazy living in this world today for no other reason than just not able to deal with things, our govt., medicare, war. And nervous breakdowns now have medical definitions.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

oiseeyuronhere said:
I don't recall a time when a persons sanity had anything to do with the ability to reproduce, do you??

MY RESPONSE: Ah, so are you saying that our writer is the product of rape, or that her father took advantage of a mental incompetent? Or, are you saying that our writer's mother was sane enough to have sex?

And I don't believe that our writer said anything about her mother being married??

MY RESPONSE: I'm trying to give our writer the benefit of any doubt, so as to avoid being referred to as a basta*d child. I don't think our writer would enjoy that moniker. But, you're right - - only our writer can fill in that gap.

Furthermore, there have been marriages annuled under voidable marriage due to this possibility, a person not being sane.

MY RESPONSE: So have I. However, there's no evidence in our writer's post that our writer's mother was anything but sane at the time of any marriage - - presuming there was a marriage at all.

I also believe that today the proper word is sane or insane, not crazy.

MY RESPONSE: It's a good word. It's in the dictionary. Look it up.

Everyone could be classified as crazy living in this world today for no other reason than just not able to deal with things, our govt., medicare, war.

MY RESPONSE: Oh, please. Every generation has it's trials and tribulations - - in all of those areas, and more. It doesn't mean the entire nation is crazy. So, it's not just "today" - - unless, of course, you're willing to agree with me that Bush is a major cause of today's nutbagginess and lunacy going on in this country "today".

And nervous breakdowns now have medical definitions.

MY RESPONSE: Yes, it's called manic craziness.

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
oiseeyuronhere said:
I don't recall a time when a persons sanity had anything to do with the ability to reproduce, do you??

MY RESPONSE: Ah, so are you saying that our writer is the product of rape, or that her father took advantage of a mental incompetent? Or, are you saying that our writer's mother was sane enough to have sex?

RESPONSE TO YOU: I never said anything about rape and there have been plenty of competent people taken advantage of so why not the incompetent by the competent. Once again, only our writer knows this information.

And I don't believe that our writer said anything about her mother being married??

MY RESPONSE: I'm trying to give our writer the benefit of any doubt, so as to avoid being referred to as a basta*d child. I don't think our writer would enjoy that moniker. But, you're right - - only our writer can fill in that gap.

RESPONSE TO YOU: With all the children born out of wedlock today, basta*d is a thing of the past except in court documents. Today, people have educated themselves enough to know that the child is not the one to blame for the parents faults or indescretions.

Furthermore, there have been marriages annuled under voidable marriage due to this possibility, a person not being sane.

MY RESPONSE: So have I. However, there's no evidence in our writer's post that our writer's mother was anything but sane at the time of any marriage - - presuming there was a marriage at all.

RESPONSE TO YOU: Presuming and assuming make people look the same don't they?

I also believe that today the proper word is sane or insane, not crazy.

MY RESPONSE: It's a good word. It's in the dictionary. Look it up.

RESPONSE TO YOU: Yes, it is a good word and so is Politically Correct.

Everyone could be classified as crazy living in this world today for no other reason than just not able to deal with things, our govt., medicare, war.

MY RESPONSE: Oh, please. Every generation has it's trials and tribulations - - in all of those areas, and more. It doesn't mean the entire nation is crazy. So, it's not just "today" - - unless, of course, you're willing to agree with me that Bush is a major cause of today's nutbagginess and lunacy going on in this country "today".

RESPONSE TO YOU: Finally, something we agree on, thank you.

And nervous breakdowns now have medical definitions.

MY RESPONSE: Yes, it's called manic craziness.

RESPONSE TO YOU: Manic Depressive Disorder

IAAL
I hope that our writer has gained some helpful information out of this forum.

ENASNI

jeesh

I NEVER get any attention
I thump and thump my foot and NOTHING
Jeesh

okay I will just eat my strawberries.. but I STOLE them...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">