• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

***Can a business refuse to do business with you? HELP!***

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

steve_g

I collect a product. These products are very expensive--in the 4 digit range each. I purchase them from a company in Illinois. You have to order the product, and they make it for you, usually taking months to complete, somewhere within 4-8 months on average. I have been a buyer of this company for a number of years now, and I have spent close to $24,000.00 over the years buying from this company.

This company has 2 main product makers, one of which often does business person to person with the potential customer, while the other uses a middleman. This middleman also takes in orders for the 1st producer. To explain it in simple terms, you have 2 producers. Both make the same exact product and work under the same banner. When you place an order, you can specifically ask for whom you want to make your product, Guy A or Guy B. Guy A, for example, does not deal with the general public, and will only accept orders via the middleman, based in Illinois, the guy who runs the company. Guy B will do business one on one with the potential buyer, or will accept orders from the middleman. I have done business with both Guy A and Guy B, but have chosen for years to do business with Guy B over the fact that there is no middleman when I placed an order with him. Guy A, by the way, works out of Arizona, while Guy B works out of Tennessee.

I recently had a bad falling out with Guy B over personal issues (we became close friends on account of all the business we did together), and he no longer wishes to do business with me. He told me I could do business with Guy A via the middleman if I'd like, that he would not have me blacklisted or blackballed. This was about 2 months ago. This past week, I found out that I may have been blacklisted from the company altogether from ordering. I'm not sure if this is true or not, but the middleman does know who I am, as does Guy A, and my fear is that this may be true and I will not be able to order any more from the company due to my issues with Guy B and because his co-workers want to side with his feelings about me.

This is a LLC company, which runs other smaller companies, aside from this product that I have ordered from them. Remember, these are collectors items that are very costly, and mean the world to me.

I usually email them or call them for a quote on one of the items, and once I get all the costs (price, shipping, etc.) I usually send out either a money order, cashier's check, or a paypal payment to them. Whenever I ordered thru Guy B, I sent a Money Order. Whenever I ordered thru Guy A via the middleman, I sent either PayPal, Money Order, or Cashier's check.

Guy B has done the bulk of my business. I am not sure what portion of the money I sent to him went to the company, or if any is distributed, etc. To be honest, I never worried about that. This is a very good company, with good people all around. They make awesome products that nobody else makes, and while Guy A is just as good as Guy B or maybe better, the accessibility to Guy B and the constant emails and contact just made me always feel more comfortable ordering from him.

Does Guy B legally have the right to refuse my business over personal issues? If I order via the company, can they refuse my business? If I order thru the middleman, and tell him I want Guy B to make me the product, can Guy B refuse to make it? I have done nothing illegal, it was basically a falling out over differences of opinions, and a host of other silly issues blown way out of proportion. This is why it baffles me as to if they can do all of this. I've thought of other alternatives to ordering, but I shouldn't have to do that. I feel that they (as a business) should accept my orders, especially considering I have nothing against the company, the middleman, Guy A or really, Guy B. I don't think a personal issue should stop me from attaining my products.

HELP ME, PLEASE...I anxiously await some advice. Thanks.

BelizeBreeze

Any business has the right to decide with whom it will conduct business. My suggest is that you attend therapy session and get over your obsession with this product because it sounds like you aren't going to be getting any in the future.

steve_g

BelizeBreeze said:
Any business has the right to decide with whom it will conduct business. My suggest is that you attend therapy session and get over your obsession with this product because it sounds like you aren't going to be getting any in the future.
Hmmm...I didn't know that. I guess other options are necessary.

Here's a follow-up question, and please forgive me if I sound naive (I am). Why is it that a company could do that? Isn't that a form of--I don't know if I'm using the right words here--prejudice or discrimination? I mean, if I said the company doesn't want to do business with me because Guy B totally hates my religious beliefs, is that legal? Our issues stemmed from personal beliefs on a touchy issue, not the business practice itself. Just wondering.

Thank you in advance for the advice.

BelizeBreeze

If I owned a restaurant and you came in for service without wearing shoes or socks, would I have the right to refuse you service?

Or, if I owned a bookstore and you stood around spouting racist views would I have the right to tell you to leave?

OR, if I caught you stealing would I have the right to refuse you continued access to my business?

Any reason to refuse service to you that is not a protected class (race, religion, etc.) is legal. Even philisophical differences of opinion. As long as the reason is directed to you personally and not your 'class' of individuals, then you need to either patch up your relationship or look elsewhere.

steve_g

BelizeBreeze said:
If I owned a restaurant and you came in for service without wearing shoes or socks, would I have the right to refuse you service?

Or, if I owned a bookstore and you stood around spouting racist views would I have the right to tell you to leave?

OR, if I caught you stealing would I have the right to refuse you continued access to my business?

Any reason to refuse service to you that is not a protected class (race, religion, etc.) is legal. Even philisophical differences of opinion. As long as the reason is directed to you personally and not your 'class' of individuals, then you need to either patch up your relationship or look elsewhere.
Thank you so much. That clears up alot.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">