• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discharged from Marines?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

usmcgf88

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? OK

My boyfriend, who is 17 (almost 18), is signed up for the Marines, his Dad signed the OK so that he could get in. His leave date for basic training is in June but now he wants out... i know that once his Dad signs the Ok there isnt really a way for him to get out other then if he doesnt graduate this year (which would mean him failing a class on purpose) Well... i have read that if both the parents have custody, they both have to sign giving the Okay. He lives with his Dad and his mom, living in Cali, still has partial custody (visitation rights?...not sure what you would call it) but he never sees his mom and she doesnt pay child support. Is this a way that could get him out of the Marines?

And does anyone know if he would be discharged for getting married? (ive heard that they arent allowed to get married before basic training)

are there any other ways he might be able to get out?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

usmcgf88 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? OK

My boyfriend, who is 17 (almost 18), is signed up for the Marines, his Dad signed the OK so that he could get in. His leave date for basic training is in June but now he wants out... i know that once his Dad signs the Ok there isnt really a way for him to get out other then if he doesnt graduate this year (which would mean him failing a class on purpose) Well... i have read that if both the parents have custody, they both have to sign giving the Okay. He lives with his Dad and his mom, living in Cali, still has partial custody (visitation rights?...not sure what you would call it) but he never sees his mom and she doesnt pay child support. Is this a way that could get him out of the Marines?

And does anyone know if he would be discharged for getting married? (ive heard that they arent allowed to get married before basic training)

are there any other ways he might be able to get out?

My response:

Cowardice is sooooooo sexy!

IAAL

usmcgf88

Yes, i am one of the reasons he wants out. but... he joined for the wrong reasons. He was trying to please his Dad, and now he has lost almost all respect for his Dad. He also wanted to be a trained killer.... and the Marines can do that and gives them a license for it. But he has changed.

rmet4nzkx

Your boyfriend is government property and even if he tries to get out other than going to his recruiter, then he faces a number of problems. The USMC will do wonders for your boyfrined, tell him no to screw up before he has to report, make sure he has sunglasses for San Diego or bug spray for Parris Island.

usmcgf88

He is talking to his recruiter as soon as he can about it. i dont understand why they have to make people do something they dont want to do. he isnt going to go AWOL or lie or anything like that... but he is going to try everything he can to get out. ive told him if he wants to go.. he should... but he said "thats the things... i really dont want to"

rmet4nzkx

He had to go out of his way to sign up for a Delayed Entry Program. The Delayed Enlistment Program (DEP) allows individuals to join the active duty military, reserve a job, and then wait until a "slot" in basic training opens up.

Individuals in the DEP are technically in the inactive reserves. They take the enlistment oath, sign a contract, and can be legally called to active duty. That is why he must go through his recruiter if he is to get out, because he and his parent has already signed a contract and he is in the reserves. A lot of young people get cold feet, but it can be a good experience for him. My son was in the USMC and he had cold feet during the DEP, eventually he went in and through his training and it made a big difference. He never regreted it, many of his friends wish they had joined or been able to join.

S

seniorjudge

"...i dont understand why they have to make people do something they dont want to do...."

Ma'am, this is the military.

they didnt force him to sign the papers did they, well then he evidentley wanted to do it. and if he is to get out just because of you, thats really stupid. girls come and girls go. getting married will not get you out. and i dont think that his mom not signing some papers will get him out either because she doesnt have coustody, and the father already gave permission

usmcgf88

i dont want him to quit for me, i told him to do what he wants to do. i know that more than likely he cant get out..... but i was just hoping that maybe there was a way, because i dont want him to be unhappy. thanks for the advice anyways... i guess the only thing he really can do is talk to his recruiter.

but if he cant get out of this, i will support him. i know the Marines would be good for him, but i know he also doesnt want to. At least now he would be serving for the right reasons.

badapple40

Has he taken the oath of office yet? Until he takes that oath when reporting to active duty, he can back out, no matter what the recruiter says... no matter what anyone says.

Check it out:

http://www.objector.org/girights/delayed-enlistment-program.html
http://www.objector.org/articles/99/gerard.html

And for those of you out there giving this kid crap... he is doing everyone a favor by getting out if he doesn't want to go. I sure as hell wouldn't want him working for me in the military if he didn't want to be there.

Last edited:

MCmom

badapple40 said:
Has he taken the oath of office yet? Until he takes that oath when reporting to active duty, he can back out, no matter what the recruiter says... no matter what anyone says.

Check it out:

http://www.objector.org/girights/delayed-enlistment-program.html
http://www.objector.org/articles/99/gerard.html

And for those of you out there giving this kid crap... he is doing everyone a favor by getting out if he doesn't want to go. I sure as hell wouldn't want him working for me in the military if he didn't want to be there.

Badapple...You said it correctly! No oath..no done deal!! I have a son in the Marines and he would agree with your statement about those who should not be in.

Semper Fi
S

rmet4nzkx said:
Your boyfriend is government property and even if he tries to get out other than going to his recruiter, then he faces a number of problems. The USMC will do wonders for your boyfrined, tell him no to screw up before he has to report, make sure he has sunglasses for San Diego or bug spray for Parris Island.

She could pack his bags ahead of time for him just to save the trouble. you know what? I love this forum. Just a bunch of dumb asses I can rip apart for being pussy's and cowards. You know what I KNOW HOW HE CAN GET OUT OF IT. I am not going to tell you though. Ha ha don't forget the but plug because he will need that after a few weeks from getting his ass reamed.

You know what? I am in a good mood today so here you go. When he gets to the meps he will have to fill out a medical questioneer. He needs to answer all of these questions to make him look like he has a bunch of meducal problems. Then he will have to go through a various amount of other tests. He can fail his hearing test, his depth perception test hell you could cut off one of his testicals and this might work too. Then he will have to take a weight lift test. I am sure without a dobt in my mind that he can fail this. The he will strip down to his whitie tighties and go in all of these weird positions. NOW LISTEN CLOSELY!!!!! The purpose of doing this is to see how their joints move. Therefore if he has limited joint movement then he will fail this too. Enough failures and he is out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">