• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding Ticket in NY on Pa License?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

carrollton51

What is the name of your state? PA

I live in PA. I got a ticket last year and have 4 points on my record. Tonight, I was going through an area I am totally unfamiliar with. I thought the speed limit was 45, but I guess in one small area it is 35. I was following traffic, and when they all went different ways I must have picked up speed. The officer said I was doing 51 in a 35. I dont think I was, but I didnt argue. I have to appear in soon, and I have heard the judge may reduce the offense if I appear in person. Will any points go directly to my PA license? I dont know what to do.

Last edited:

S

seniorjudge

Yes, the points will go on your license. Go to court and do all that you can do to get a non-moving violation. It may cost you more in the shortrun but you will save money on insurance in the long haul.

carrollton51

Okay, in all my searching, I found a document on PA DMV website. It states "Although reported to PennDot minor traffic offenses such as speeding, red light, stop sign, etc, will NOT appear on your driving record. Points will not be asessed to your PA driving record when convicted of a point related offense in a DLC member state. " ( driver license compact ) Am I misreading it, or am I going to be okay? I fully intend to show up, as I understand if they plea down they get to keep the fine money in the local municipality. Any thoughts on the quote from the DMV page?

S

seniorjudge

carrollton51 said:
Okay, in all my searching, I found a document on PA DMV website. It states "Although reported to PennDot minor traffic offenses such as speeding, red light, stop sign, etc, will NOT appear on your driving record. Points will not be asessed to your PA driving record when convicted of a point related offense in a DLC member state. " ( driver license compact ) Am I misreading it, or am I going to be okay? I fully intend to show up, as I understand if they plea down they get to keep the fine money in the local municipality. Any thoughts on the quote from the DMV page?
I hope you are right (for your sake).

carrollton51

I am not saying you are wrong, just quoting what i found on the pa dmv website. I am calling them at 7 am sharp to confirm it. 8 points would not get me suspended, but it would hurt. :( I wasnt even intentionally speeding.........I guess there is a reason they call them speed traps but its my fault for not being more aware. Sigh. Will update after I find out, so others will know in case it comes up. By the way, are you actually a judge? If so I am scared to death because you are probably right. :(

Bravo8

As far as I know, your interpretation of that webpage is correct. PA does not record minor traffic violations from out-of-state. If the out-of-state violation causes that state (NY) to suspend your driver's license, then PA MAY honor that suspension and suspend your PA DL.

Even if they don't, PA law precludes you from driving if suspended in another state....even with a PA license. Basically, the wording of PA law says that if you are suspended in another state, your PA license is no longer valid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">