• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

naturalization - what to expect, pls. atty lana

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joligudgrl

What is the name of your state? ct

dear atty lana,

i know somebody who is eligible to apply for naturalization here in ct. from what she read, naturalization process involves 4 steps---application, fingerprint, interview then oathtaking. her questions---

1. on the average, how long does she have to wait to get her interview schedule after filing application? would you have any idea how long it actually takes for the entire naturalization process to be completed in ct?
2. in her case, when will be the "fingerprinting" and where?
3. can she file her petition for her mom simultaneously or is it absolutely necessary to secure the actual certificate of citizenship before petitioning her mother? better yet, when is the earliest time to petition her parents to migrate?
4. what does it mean that "an immediate relative does not have to wait for a visa number when his petition is approved" ? does it mean that a parent of a petitioner is considered a permanent resident when he/she gets approved and may then move to the u.s. ?

i will appreciate your response. i'm sure that an authoritative information will help her with her application. thanks again.

ImmigAttyLana

1. on the average, how long does she have to wait to get her interview schedule after filing application? would you have any idea how long it actually takes for the entire naturalization process to be completed in ct?
ABOUT A YEAR AS THE HARTFORD OFFICE IS CURRENTLY ADJUDICATING PETITIONS FILED IN MARCH 2004
2. in her case, when will be the "fingerprinting" and where?
SOMETIME AFTER THE FILING OF THE N-400 APPLICATION IS WHEN SHE WILL BE CALLED IN FOR FINGERPRINTING. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO SAY EXACTLY WHEN BECAUSE DIFFERENT OFFICES SCHEDULE THESE DIFFERENTLY. IT WILL BE AT AN APPLICATION SUPPORT CENTER SOMEWHERE CLOSE TO HER PLACE OF RESIDENCE.
3. can she file her petition for her mom simultaneously or is it absolutely necessary to secure the actual certificate of citizenship before petitioning her mother? better yet, when is the earliest time to petition her parents to migrate?
SHE HAS TO WAIT UNTIL SHE IS ACTUALLY A CITIZEN BEFORE BEING ABLE TO PETITION FOR HER MOTHER AND UNTIL SHE GETS THE CERTIFICATE OF NATURALIZATION, SHE IS NOT A US CITIZEN. ONCE SHE GETS THE CERTIFICATE OF NATURALIZATION AT THE SWEARING IN CEREMONY, SHE CAN PETITION FOR HER MOM THAT SAME DAY.
4. what does it mean that "an immediate relative does not have to wait for a visa number when his petition is approved" ? does it mean that a parent of a petitioner is considered a permanent resident when he/she gets approved and may then move to the u.s. ?
YES, IF SHE SPONSORS HER MOM FOR PERMANENT RESIDENCE AS A PARENT OF A US CITIZEN AND HER MOTHER PROCESSES HER IMMIGRANT VISA PETITION AT THE US CONSULATE ABROAD, UPON ENTERING THE US, SHE WILL BE ENTERING AS A PERMANENT RESIDENT AND HER STAMP IN THE PASSPORT AT THE TIME OF ENTRY WILL REFLECT THAT STATUS.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE ANY ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS OR IF I MAY BE OF FURTHER ASSISTANCE TO YOU IN THIS MATTER.

joligudgrl

naturalization - more questions, atty. lana pls

dear atty. lana,

connecticut

i just talked to my friend about her concerns on naturalization and petition for the immigration of her parents. she has some more questions---

she plans to apply for housing assistance (section 8 ?) anytime this year. will that affect her naturalization? the sponsorship of her parents? if any, what is the minimum annual income inorder for a petitioner to sponsor a parent?

living in the city, my friend is gainfully employed but her apartment rent takes more than 60% of her monthly net pay. she's been renting for the last four years. it just makes perfect sense to start putting that money to get her own home.

i'm looking forward to hear your response, atty.lana. thanks!

joligudgrl

follow-up on naturalization, atty. lana pls.

dear atty. lana,

have you read my last post? i would appreciate hearing from you. thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">