• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

traveling under different names on my green card and passport

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

penguinsan

California

My green card has my current name (my madien name, to which I changed back after divorce) and my passport has my married name. I would like to visit my country this year for the first time since I received my green card, but I am concerned that I may have problems re-entering the US. If I take my marriage certificate and my divorce paper, will that be sufficient? If not, how can I prevent any potential problems? Is there any waiver I may receive from the INS in advace, which allows me to travel with no problem under such a condition?

I have contacted the embassy of my country, and they say that it is impossible to change my lastname on my passport in the US at this point, and the only way is to go through the family court in my country.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">