• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question regarding license plate on dash

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

elisabethr@mac.

What is the name of your state? WA

Hello!

I recently purchased a new vehicle and the front bumper does not contain holes to mount the front license plate. I have it currently displayed on the dash on the passenger side. I've been told differing arguments as to whether or not this is legal. I live in Issaquah, WA and an officer in Leavenworth, WA told me it was fine to be displayed in the window. An officer in Seattle, WA just gave me a traffic ticket and said it is not. Several friends have had cars with the license plate located on the dash and have never had a problem with it. The dealer in Bellevue didn't mention it was illegal to not mount the license plate. The car is a VW Golf so by the standards I read on the WA state website (http://clerk.ci.seattle.wa.us/~scripts/nph-brs.exe?s1=&s2=license+plate&S3=Title+adj+11&Sect4=AND&l=20&Sect1=IMAGE&Sect3=PLURON&Sect5=CODE1&d=CODE&p=1&u=/~public/code1.htm&r=4&Sect6=HITOFF&f=G), this falls within the 4 feet from the ground and is clearly visible.

The ticket is $101 and is considered a Traffic Violation. Also - the officer wrote on the ticket that the infraction is "No Front License Plate" - which isn't the case - it is visible on the dash and I even pointed it out to him. His response was "No".

Please let me know what is correct. I'm not sure if I should contest the infraction or simple agree that I committed the infraction and ask for a mitigation hearing (and take a picture of where the license plate is now and then get it mounted and show that I had it mounted in the meantime).

Thanks!
liz

harbor14

elisabethr@mac. said:
What is the name of your state? WA

Hello!

I recently purchased a new vehicle and the front bumper does not contain holes to mount the front license plate. I have it currently displayed on the dash on the passenger side. I've been told differing arguments as to whether or not this is legal. I live in Issaquah, WA and an officer in Leavenworth, WA told me it was fine to be displayed in the window. An officer in Seattle, WA just gave me a traffic ticket and said it is not. Several friends have had cars with the license plate located on the dash and have never had a problem with it. The dealer in Bellevue didn't mention it was illegal to not mount the license plate. The car is a VW Golf so by the standards I read on the WA state website (http://clerk.ci.seattle.wa.us/~scripts/nph-brs.exe?s1=&s2=license+plate&S3=Title+adj+11&Sect4=AND&l=20&Sect1=IMAGE&Sect3=PLURON&Sect5=CODE1&d=CODE&p=1&u=/~public/code1.htm&r=4&Sect6=HITOFF&f=G), this falls within the 4 feet from the ground and is clearly visible.

The ticket is $101 and is considered a Traffic Violation. Also - the officer wrote on the ticket that the infraction is "No Front License Plate" - which isn't the case - it is visible on the dash and I even pointed it out to him. His response was "No".

Please let me know what is correct. I'm not sure if I should contest the infraction or simple agree that I committed the infraction and ask for a mitigation hearing (and take a picture of where the license plate is now and then get it mounted and show that I had it mounted in the meantime).

Thanks!
liz
Sorry the violation is valid. The site you refer to is the Seattle Municipal Code which is essentially the same as the State RCW46.16.240. The part you are not understanding is the following: "...Each vehicle license numbr plate shall be placed or hung in a HORIZONTAL postition at a distance of not less than one foot nor more than four feet from the ground and shall be kept clean so as to be plainly seen and read at all times..."

Now for another reason to put it on the front bumper where it belongs...you do not want the license plate flying around the inside of the vehicle (or anything else for that matter) if you have a collison.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">