• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Convert Fiancee Visa to Work Visa

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Edna Wingfield

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
Montana

My cousin arrived here in the US with a Fiancee Visa. Now she has decided that she don't want to be married with her petitioner. Can she change her Fiancee Visa to Work Visa as me as her petitioner since my husband and I have an ongoing business. Or can she stay with me as a Nanny to my daughter and file for a working Visa that way.

ImmigAttyLana

NO, absolutely NOT! A person who comes to the US on a fiancee visa can ONLY adjust status on the basis of marriage TO THE PERSON WHO SPONSORED THE FIANCEE VISA!!!! There are no other ways to adjust status or to change status to another nonimmigrant classification. Once the 90 days pass, if the foreign national fiancee does not get married to the sponsoring petitioner, she falls out of status and is in the US unlawfully. After that, she begins to accrue unlawful presence in the US which could preclude her from ever being able to change status in the US to a work visa or to another family-based status.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if I may be of further assistance to you in this matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">