• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Thought I was bidding,but was in buy it now

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

just_plain_dum

What is the name of your state? Kansas

I thought I was going to bid on an item in ebay, but it was a "buy it now" item. Ok so I was stupid and I am not a big ebay user. However this is not an item I can afford costing several hundreds of dollars. When I received my "you are a winning bidder" email, I immediately responded to the seller to let them know about my mistake.

However if they are not kind and choose to don't accept my request for a withdrawal, do I have any recourse for my stupidity?

HolyCow

Okay...
Yes, you weren't thinking when you hit that bid or BIN button...you need to learn to read the page!

You could offer to pay the sellers listing,final value, BIN (buy it no) fee...they don't have to accept but they may. The problem is that you caused them to lose these fees....if you were to pay all would be well in eBay land...if you don't pay you will have a strike against you and will probably get a negative feedback. Once you get three strikes you are off of eBay....

I would try offering to pay for their fees ...afterall, it was your stupidity.

djohnson

Whether it was bidding or buy it now doesn't matter. You shouldn't have bid if you didn't plan on winning and buying anyway. Why would you even bid that amount. I would offer the fees and hope he takes it as that would be fair. You have really messed someone else up and should be banned from ebay.

just_plain_dum

Ok DJohnson, time for a crisis queen check. Hope you are not selected for any jury. I knew very little about ebay as of yesterday, but now I am learning. There is a process for unpaid items to be disputed. It reads on the Ebay site that at the end of that process the seller will be eligible for a Final Value Fee Credit and also a relist credit for the item.

The seller is not an individual but a company, who so far has not responded to my emails, postings, nor phone calls in an attempt to remedy this situation. I really doubt that I have "really messed someone up", however if I should be banned from ebay for the rest of my life, so be it, I think I will be able to endure.

djohnson

lol you still didn't answer why you would even be bidding on it if you didn't have that kind of money. Seems to me you have a lot of problems with uderstanding even basic ideas. How old are you ?

F

Fat Tony

If they kick you off for the rest of your life for your deplorable actions, as was suggested, Just register a new ebay ID from a different e-mail address.

Duh!!!

Ms_Monica

just_plain_dum said:
There is a process for unpaid items to be disputed. It reads on the Ebay site that at the end of that process the seller will be eligible for a Final Value Fee Credit and also a relist credit for the item.

The seller is not an individual but a company, who so far has not responded to my emails, postings, nor phone calls in an attempt to remedy this situation. I really doubt that I have "really messed someone up", however if I should be banned from ebay for the rest of my life, so be it, I think I will be able to endure.
Yeah, there is a process where an unpaid item can be disputed. Rest assured that you will lose this dispute, so don't even think about it. Whenever you click a "buy it now" or "bid now" button, before your bid/purchase is confirmed eBay takes you to a page that plainly states that the listing is a contract and you are bound to it. As a matter of fact, it says that directly under the "submit" button, it is very hard to miss. What you should have done is read the listing completely. If the seller states in their listing that they want to be paid for their auction in banana peels, and they give you an exchange rate between banana peels and dollars, then you are bound to that. Period. So it's always best to read before you click.

But, if this is your first offense you have nothing to worry about. Ebay lets you make 3 mistakes like that before they shut your ID down, and even then if you can work with one of the sellers and get them to withdraw their complaint you get your privileges back.

Now, from the sellers point of view ...

Yes, they get their Final Value Credit Fee back if they file a UPI dispute with you. They "may" get a relist credit ... there are a lot of conditions on that so I wouldn't count on them getting it. What they don't get is their original listing fees, gallery fees, extra picture fees ... etc ... If it's an expensive item and a complicated listing those fees could be steep.

How are you so sure your seller is a company and not an individual? Anyone who sells on eBay is supposed to register as a business with the state for tax purposes, so technically we're all businesses. On eBay it's very easy to make yourself look like a huge corporation. If you came across our auctions you would have no idea that my husband and I work out of our spare bedroom and barely make a living. Even if the seller is a PowerSeller, they could be selling thousands of dollars of merchandise every month and only making a hundred in profit. There are benefits to being a PowerSeller that make that kind of situation possible.

So that's how you could be really hurting this seller, don't assume you're not. People come to eBay for amazing bargains, not for their normal shopping. That's why very few people get rich selling on eBay, and most just get by.

I would also guess if this seller were a company, you would have received a response to your phone calls and e-mails. I would bet you purchased from some struggling soul who probably works an additional job some place else. Or it could be that you were so rude and unreasonable that they're ignoring you ... ?

So, I'm sure if eBay does decide to punish you in some way, (like you said) you will endure. But depending on how many jerks this seller has encountered in the past month, he may not. So my suggestion to you is to be quiet, take your strike from eBay, apologize profusely to the seller and don't click without reading next time :mad:

MinCA

I am an ebay-junkie, both buying and selling. And sellers have many fees. You buyers have no idea. There's a fee to list (depending on what it starts at), a fee to use decorations, to post more than one picture, to list a buy-it-now (depending on how much the BIN is), a fee to highlight or bold a listing, a fee to list for 10 days, fee for reserve.... Then there's a selling fee, a percentage of what the auction closes at. THEN, if the seller accepts Paypal, there'sa fee to accept credit or debit card payments. Some sellers are used to bidders not paying and don't make a fuss, just counting it as part of the price of doing business.

But I can about guarantee you that, unless the item had to do with an event or whatnot (like tickets or some Red Sox fabric that was sky-high after the World Series and is now nighting), the seller will most likely accept the fees if you offer to pay. Tack on an extra 5% of you pay by Paypal to cover the Paypal fees.

You may hear that the seller can request a fee-refund from ebay and let you stake a strike. Correct, to a point. The seller can only get back the final value fee, the percentage of what it closes at. The seller is still out listing fees.

YOUR stupidity shouldn't cost the SELLER money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">