• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

disability and income

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wdpoinde

What is the name of your state?georgia
I am currently receiving social security disability from georgia. My girlfriend is moving in with me. Will her income [<30,000.00/yr] affect my disability payment. If we were to get married could she be eligible for any payments. Should I report this change to social security or should I continue to report that I live alone. My case has just begun the re-evaluation process.

bjl1105

More info is needed to answer your questions. Do you receive Social Security Disability, Supplemental Security Income Disability (SSI) or both?

When you say *re evaluation process*, do you mean a Medical Redetermination, or an SSI Redetermination?

i would advise you to tell the truth. otherwise you may end up back here again posting another thread asking what to do when the SSA finds out you're lying to them.
if you have further questions as to how your new living situation will effect your benefits, call the social security office and ask.

BL

If you receive SSDI ( Qualified from work history ) or SSI ( not enough work history ), and you no longer live alone , your checks will be reduced slightly .

bjl1105

Blonde Lebinese said:
If you receive SSDI ( Qualified from work history ) or SSI ( not enough work history ), and you no longer live alone , your checks will be reduced slightly .

SSDI benefits are never affected by your living situations.
SSI are almost always affected by your living situations.
Your best bet is to call the 1 800 number, or your local office, and give specific information so you can get specific answers.

roxieroper

why would you want your girlfriend to be eligable for any payments. I mean its hard enough for people who ar disabled and can't work to get ssdi never mind someone who makes 30 K per year. SSDI isn't affect by living status in GA

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">