• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Another AWOL question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LostSoul213

Sorry, I've seen alot of these topics on the board, but I would like some advice on my specific problem. Well in late August of 2004 I completed my OSUT training at Ft. Benning, GA and recieved orders to report to Korea on the 28th of September, 2004. Well obviously I never reported and have been awol for nearly 5 months now. Well I wanna get things taken care of and just get back with my life and girlfriend. I've heard different stories and the GI hotline said they dont know what they would do with me considering I completed my AIT training, because it was all condensed into one with my basic training. I am in the infantry so it was just 14 weeks of basic/ait into one, as im sure you already know. But so that's my question. I want to know if thats gonna affect what happens to me. I do have orders to Korea. And I called the deserter hotline and they said they had nothing on me, of course meaning I wasnt awol. Really I dont care what type of discharge I get, I just want out, any info would greatly be appreciated before I turn myself in.

lvn4ever

another awol question

rmetz ( or some screen name similiar!) is a good source of info as is badapple40, in my opinion. Badapple is a JAG atty, I think and rmetz either is one or has done alot of research.

You may have read some of my posts. I am seeking info for a family member about a similiar situation.

The fact that your packet is not at Fed. Deserter Hotline is a good thing, or so I am told.

Have you continued receiveing pay? This would speak to if they have noticed you are gone or not.

Summarizing the pages and pages and pages of research I have done, the consensus is to go back immediately, and if possible, dressed in BDU's and waving the flag,acting like you are ready for another day at work. You must be ready for the reality that they may "put you back in boots" and send you off to Korea. It happens. The Army is big on rehabbing soldiers as they have invested a lot of time and money in you so far. I am only telling you the fruits of my research.

You say that you don't really care what sort of discharge you get, but, trust me, I have talked and written to dozens of former AWOLS who say IT DOES MATTER, so don't lose sight of that. The most poignant statement was from a guy who went AWOL for about 3 days in the 90's and , for some reason, and got a dishonorable discharge. He wrote -and i paraphrase ...not an night goes by that I don't think about how much my impulsive action screwed my life up. What I did has affected my employment opportunities and many other areas of my life. The consequences have haunted and will continue to haunt me for the rest of my life.

So, please don't be rash as you go through this process. Take the discharge very seriously and do everything you can to avoid worsening the situiaton.

LostSoul213

Well yeah I was receiving pay for about 2 and a half months after it should have been stopped. But they just recently stopped paying me, but yet there was still no info on me at the deserter hotline. The GI line was telling me that it was probably them just noticing and still havent got the paper work or whatever on it. But yeah I really REALLY dont wanna go back in, but I am prepared as you said, to stay in if I have to, I know thats a possibility. And it's not a rash decision, it's something I've thought about for a while. From what I've read it won't affect the jobs I'm gonna want in the future.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">