• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

U.S. Marine wants to marry foreigner; help!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

acekiller32

What is the name of your state? CA

Hello, I am here to seek advice from anybody who can give it. Be it from personal experience, word of mouth, or knowledge with the law. Here is my situation:

I am a Marine who was stationed in Finland 3 years ago. While there, I developed a friendship with a local woman, whom I've grown to love and truly believe is my soulmate. That being said, I am now in the inactive reserves and going to school in Los Angeles. She has come to the U.S. to visit me on 3 prior occassions. I went to Finland this past Christmas to propose, and she said yes. Now I'm trying to find out how to get her here the fastest to start our new life. She is coming here April 15 for sure, so the question comes up "Should we get married a month after that?". I know she can't come here with the intent to marry, but I believe it's not too much of an obstacle to overcome (what will they do, polygraph?). I also know that we can go the Fiance visa route. I have heard about the length of time that takes, and I must say it's a big turn off. So a question I pose is if it's possible for her to be here and stay her max days on her tourist visa, and then go back to Finland when the embassy calls to schedule and appointment. Only to come right back after she (presumably) get the fiance visa. Would that present a problem? Or what if she comes here, with no intent to marry. While here, we have a "heart to heart", and we decide to go to Vegas and get married. What processes would be involved then and what would be the major issues to deal with? I've heard of interviews that go on, but what exactly happens? Are they really hard core about "digging" for information, or is it merely a formality? Consider she is from Finland (as opposed to, say, Iran, Turkey, or China) and she has been here 3 times already in the past 2 years. Thanks for the help, Semper Fidelis!!!!

I am NOT an attorney

You really got most right.

You are an US Citizen and that make any "slip" easier to tolerate.

The best route would indeed to get the K1 Fiancee Visa.

You can check the processing times at:

http://www.visapro.com/California-Service-Center.asp

For California, petitions from Dec/2004 being processed so that takes normally a few months.

I-129F Petition for Alien Fiance(e) K-1/K-2 - Not yet married - fiance and/or dependent child December 01 , 2004

Please check which Processing Center your state falls under:

California Service Center
Missouri Service Center
Nebraska Service Center
Texas Service Center
Vermont Service Center

In your situation I would ask her NOT to come in April2005 and would start right now the K1 application.

You can also look for an attorney in your city who offers a free consultation, just to avoid any problems in the future.

As far interview goes, each case is different and if you have a loving marriage, with all proper documentation requested, you will not have a problem.

whatever path you go,

best of luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">