• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

F1 status - H1b transfer question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

josephwilson

What is the name of your state? IL

Hi
I have been working for a cmpny A since Aug2004. My status durng this time was OPT which expired on Jan 31. The cmpny sponsored my H1b visa and I recvd. it on Jan 26.

I want to switch to cmpny B - if comp. B files my H1b transfer and I receive the receipt on Feb 14 (for exmpl) do I still need to work for cmpny A till the end of the month & get a pay stub? Would it be too risky to start on Feb 20 (for exmpl) and not have a pay stub for Feb.

The visa on my passport is still F1 - do I need to change it to H1b before I can transfer? I did receive a new I94 with my H1b approval which is valid till 2007.
I realise that it is wise to wait till the end of the month - but for various reasons,I have to start ASAP (I was supposed to start in Dec 04 actually).

Thanks for your time!

ImmigAttyLana

There is no reason to wait until the end of the month and you can start working as soon as you have proof of company B's filing the H-1B petition. The important part with the paycheck stubs is to have them through the date of your filing of the company B petition, not through the end of a month.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if I may be of further assistance to you in this matter.

josephwilson

Thanks

ImmigAttyLana said:
There is no reason to wait until the end of the month and you can start working as soon as you have proof of company B's filing the H-1B petition. The important part with the paycheck stubs is to have them through the date of your filing of the company B petition, not through the end of a month.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if I may be of further assistance to you in this matter.
Thanks. Actually, I get a paycheck only at the end of the month. So I guess I will have to stick around till then.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">