• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSD with Adult Children in the home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

suzanne0730

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

I have a friend whose mother (age 55) is disabled and wholly dependent on Social Security. She has two younger children who live with her, ages 13 and 19. My friend's sister, age 19, is telling him that she can't get a job and help out with family bills because any income that she brings in would reduce her mother's SS benefit.

Is this true, or even possible?

Thanks in advance...
Suzanne

BL

If there is another Adult in the home of the SSDI recipient that has Gainful Employment with substantial Income , the mother's SSDI payments may be reduced slightly 50 - 50 Dollars per month ( estimate ) , but will not be cut altogether.

The SSDI payments is from money she paid into while she worked , and as long as she is disabled will continue to receive it .

bjl1105

suzanne0730 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

I have a friend whose mother (age 55) is disabled and wholly dependent on Social Security. She has two younger children who live with her, ages 13 and 19. My friend's sister, age 19, is telling him that she can't get a job and help out with family bills because any income that she brings in would reduce her mother's SS benefit.

Is this true, or even possible?

Thanks in advance...
Suzanne
The first thing you need to be clear on is exactly what kind of benefits she is receiving. Social Security can pay benefits to disabled persons from their own work record, from a deceased spouse's work record, from a parent's work record and from SSI to name a few.

If the client is receiving SSDI (social security disabilily) from her own work record, the income from the other people living in her household will not affect her benefit. You can confirm this by calling the 1 800 772 1213 or by visiting their website www.socialsecurity.gov .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">