• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Citizen to file a residence petition

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maggie23

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Colorado

Hello,
I am a US citizen and I would like to file a residence petition for my dad who is a Mexican citizen and lives in Mexico.
Questions:
1.- Can I file it while he is in Mexico or does he have to be in the US?
2.- How long would it take?
3.- Can he come and visit me while it is in process (he still has a visa to come here)?
4.- Which forms do I need to submit?

Thank you very much,
Maggie

ImmigAttyLana

Yes, you can file while he is in Mexico. It's likely to take about 9-12 months. No, he cannot continue to travel to the US despite having a valid visa, if an immigrant visa petition is pending on his behalf. As for the forms, if you are going to file this on your own and without an attorney, you can either download the forms from the USCIS website or obtain a set of forms from your local USCIS office.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if I may be of further assistance to you in this matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">