• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ending alimony - automatic after remarriage?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nixkat

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California My ex-husband has a wage assignment (he lives in N.C and is remarried) he owes back support for both spousal and child support. His company said it is paid automatically depending on how much he works. Sometimes he works a lot and sometimes he doesn't. The support checks go up and down like a roller coaster - not a set amount like the court ordered. I remarried 2 weeks ago - do I go into court and file a motion to stop the spousal support or was it automatic when my new marriage was recorded? The support check still has spousal support listed on it (child and spousal are combined in one check with the amounts going to each listed seperately) - is this because I have to go in and change the order or is it because he owes back support?

BelizeBreeze

Your remarriage will affect only FUTURE spousal support IF the divorce decree stipulates that spousal support is to cease on remarriage. It does not affect arrears.

What does your divorce decree state exactly as to the spousal support?

nixkat

CA. spousal support.....commencment date and continuing until the death of either party, remarriage of ME or further Order of the Court". So do I have to go into court to file that my circumstances changed ie: remarriage OR did it become effective upon the county recording the new marriage? Naturally that would affect future spousal support - I wanted to know if I need to go in and file in order to stop any future spousal support. It won't affect the child support.

LdiJ

Its not your responsibility to petition to have the spousal support stopped. Its his.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">