• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sponsorship Failed, Next Move

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

olympusAnus

State NYC

Hello,

Been in (US) since about 3 grade and illegally (bought me here for 1 year and kept me after visa expired), I'll be 30 in March.

My parents came, got their papers and I was "phased out" in 1996. Again tried sponsorship via my parents & attempts to adjust me status have yielded no results.

I need to exit this country (US). Why? Have no ss#, no credit history, no retirement plan, etc. because of these idiotic restrictions.

I'd like to go to Canada to attain my bachelors in graphics/design.

Question:

How can I leave the US (if I'm illegally here) and get a student visa to enroll in a Canadian University?

Country of origin (Trinidad & Tobago)

Any brief ADVICE is appreciated
(this complex situation is best suited for a attorney?)
OlympusAnus

olympusAnus

Hello,

To follow up, in a few months my mom will reach the 5year mark
legal-resident and she will file for 'citizenship'.

In any legal opinions, would having my mother file for me (i'm almost 30) yeild
any results?

Mostly importanly, would those results be QUICKLY?

Thank you
Olympus

olympusAnus

Hello,

I've been reading up on where I stand regarding my options.

If my mom gets her citizenship & proceeds with "family-based" immigration:

I do not qualify as a "Immediate Relative" because I'm her unmarried son but I'm over 21.

I do qualify as a "Preference Immigrant" (1st Preference) because I'm her unmarried son, over 21.

My concern is, unlike immediate relatives, who are eligible to receive green cards fairly quickly, preference immigrants usually have to wait a long time to get green cards. In some categories, the waiting period can be as long as 12 years.

As a 1st preference immigrant, would I have to wait 12 years?

Olympus

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">