• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

72 in a 55 zone, in NC, with a bad speedometer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JohnInNC

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I got pulled for 72 in a 55 a month ago. My court date is March 11. I'm broke and unemployed, with far more time than money, so I'm probably representing myself.

I think I've got a fairly good case:
- I have a clean record (no violations since high school more than 15 yrs ago)
- I am fairly certain that my speedometer is off by 5 or 10 mph (my cruise control was set for 66 or 67 mph)
- and I swear I thought it was a 65 zone.

Here's the thing: I had been pulled for a similar thing just two nights before! I think it was 71 in a 55, and much closer to home.

So, what should I do?

I'm thinking of asking for a reduction of the violation for the first citation, then requesting a prayer for judgement on the second one. Are there other options available to me? (Driving school?)

But if I can prove that my speedo was off (in my favor) then will that help my case(s)? I heard recently that NC courts no longer allow 'improper equipment' as an excuse. My vehicle is relatively new to me, so I can honestly say that I have not been driving it enough to observe whether or not the speedo is accurate.

Bear in mind, I can get a copy of my DMV driving record that shows how clean it is.

thanks,

John

Well

as far as your current citation goes, you admitted to setting your cruize at 66-67. Even if it was a 65 mph zone, you've admitted to intentionally setting your speed over the limit.

I don't know NC law, but I would suspect that the malfunctioning speedometer isn't going to hold water. You've also acknowledged that you're suspicious of your speedometer but haven't indicated that you've had a mechanic look at it and repair if necessary.

Add all this to the fact that you got a 71 in a 55 two nights ealier, and I suspect this does not put you in much of a position to do much negotiating.

Also, from what I've read on this forum, going 20 MPH over the speed limit results in a license suspension.

S

seniorjudge

Nothing in your post is a defense, especially the defective equipment.

The ONLY defense to speeding is that you were not speeding.

Ask for a nonmoving violation; it may cost you more in the short-run but you will save insurance costs in the long-run.

Who issued the ticket?

Driving in excess of 55 and 15 MPH over can result in a licence suspension in NC. Getting two tickets in 2 days might significantly increase the probability of getting a suspension.

Some people have reported getting this pled down to a 9 over on their own --- minimizing the damage is much more likely with a good lawyer.

Scan some of the other NC threads for more info.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">