• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

You have got to be kidding me....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

masters12_05

I am from Texas, and a few days ago i was driving down the interstate when a cop supposadly clocked me at 81mph in a 70mph zone, however I exited off the interstate drove to Walmart started to park when the state trooper finally turns his lights on to get me. He then comes up to me and states that he clocked me doing 81, and that he had followed me down the interstate, but when i turned into Walmart he was not behind me, nor did he take the same route as I. As far as I know when you follow somebody you stay directly behind them, the officer failed to even enter the same entrance as I, and had clearly entered awhile after I had. So if i had parked sooner then i would have been long gone since he was not following me, however i kept going to find a better parking spot. I believe that he saw that it was a white car that was speeding and just suspected that it were me due to me still being in my car.(1st of all, if I was doing such a crime why didnt he pull me over on the interstate.) then he took my license and started to walk off, and i stated to the officer "dont you need my insurance or registration", and he replyed with "yeah you got it?" so he goes off writes me up a ticket and then gives it back to me. On the ticket where you put the address of the place where you got the ticket he puts on the interstate a few miles back, however i got it there at the Walmart parking lot. Let me know what u think about all this, will i win in court and any other ideas or comments you may have, I am leaving for the Marines in a few months and i really cannot afford to have this ticket show up on my record. Please help me.

Last edited:

LawGirl10

No, he is not required to stop you on the interstate. Many times, police will follow you and stop you at another location for several reasons: to observe your driving, safety considerations, etc. The only thing you could question about that is if the officer is absolutely certain that the car he clocked on the radar and the car he actually stopped were one in the same. This would become an issue if you were actually out of his sight for a few seconds. However, even if you were out of sight, as long as he can convince the court that that indeed was the same vehicle, the officer will win on that one.

The location that the police officer put on the ticket is correct. They need to put the location of where the violation occurred, not where the stop was ultimately made. This is done because if the ticket is challenged, they will have to testify about where the offense (where he clocked you on the radar) actually occurred.

As for the question about the insurance and registration, they are not required to ask you for that. They can run your plates through the computer to get the vehicle information needed for the citation. They are not required to ask for your insurance information. They can pick and choose which statutes they enforce.

From the way you described the incident, probably the only things you could challenge is the accuracy of the radar or whatever method the officer used to clock you (or if he paced you with his vehicle, certification as to his own speedometer). Most of the time, they keep regular records as to when they calibrated the radar, etc. The other thing you could challenge is if another vehicle was the one that he actually received a reading on. Depending on where you were when he got a radar reading on a car, other things can interfere: a passing train in the immediate vicinity that is directly in line with your car (ex: a train running along the side of the interstate traveling in the same direction of your vehicle), larger vehicles running in the same direction as you car, vehicles that were just ahead or in a lane closer to the officer than you and closer to the radar gun. However, even in those instances, they are trained to be able to tell when something is interfering with the signal and trained to see when your vehicle is actually the one resulting in the correct reading (the sound and strength of the signal they hear if they use the volume becomes louder).

Overall, I don't see anything specific to suggest a challenge to your situation.

Good luck anyway.

It sounds like the last person that had answered your question had pretty much the same as I am. The Officer does not have to pull you over in the area that he had noted the Violation. As the previuos person had indicated, about the only thing you can question would be the ( Vehicle) the last time calibration was noted on the doppler radar. I can tell you this. Being in Law Enforcement for as many years as I have, very few times can you beat a radar citation. I would also question the fact that this is a Crime as you had indicated. I could be wrong because it does differ from state to state. However most states a traffic citation amounts to a violation not a crime. Good luck.

fedcop110

Lawgirl10 stated it very well. It will be extremely hard to "beat" the ticket whether the trooper was using Doppler radar or Lidar. The records that are kept by the department as to when the unit was calibrated and the officers training and experience all work against you in this situation. There are many reasons that the trooper may have pulled you over in another location as lawgirl10 stated. You're probably better off just paying the citation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">