• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there "statute of limitations"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mes2005

What is the name of your state?Florida

If someone served in the Military for 10 years.Went AWOL 18 years ago.

Arrested by local police when stopped for a traffic offense. Being held by "county police".

Served 1977 to 1987. Reenlisted in 1986 for two years.

Is there a statute of limitations ?

no i dont think there is a statue of limitations, because he has already been charged in a way, but has just recently been caught. Once your awol, your awol untill you turn yourself in, your ETS has nothing to do with it,

I saw on the news a month or two ago- I guy had gone awol in korea and went into north korea and was caught, he was awol for something like firty years, when he finally got out of North Korea, he turned himself into the army and had to spend a few days in confinement.

CeLaw

There is a statute of limitations even on AWOL. The clock will stop once AWOL charges are placed on you. The only way the clock could run out is if they forgot to press charges when you left. I did meet a guy that was gone 20 years. When he left, no one processed his case and no charges were filed. The only way he got picked up must have been after an audit or something. Make sure that you look at your papers. Look at the date the charges were filed. It has to be within five years of when the offense occurred. In other words, even if you went AWOL ten years ago, they can’t file charges on you today. Well, they can, but they can’t process the charges thru the military courts, but they are certainly free to process your case administratively. But you also have the right to refuse any administrative processes and be tried in court martial. Hang in there for now! And under no circumstances answer any questions or give any answers to anyone until after you see a defense attorney. Even then you may want to remain silent. I never did answer any questions! Good luck, CeLaw

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">