• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unfairly targeted in New Mexico

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ashman

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California
I was issued a traffic citation in Tacumcari, NM. Although I feel I was unfairly targeted and cited just because I was from out of state, I would like to know if a citation issued in new Mexico will show up on my driving record in California. I intend on requesting "deferred sentencing" in writing (via registered mail) to the Quay County Magistrate & the ticketing NM State Police Officer. Anyone have any experience with this? My understanding from postings I found on this website state that, if granted, charges will be dismissed if I keep my nose clean for 3 months. Thanks

Last edited:

Ashman said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California
I was issued a traffic citation in Tacumcari, NM. Although I feel I was unfairly targeted and cited just because I was from out of state, I would like to know if a citation issued in new Mexico will show up on my driving record in California. I intend on requesting "deferred sentencing" in writing (via registered mail) to the Quay County Magistrate & the ticketing NM State Police Officer. Anyone have any experience with this? My understanding from postings I found on this website state that, if granted, charges will be dismissed if I keep my nose clean for 3 months. Thanks
Ashman,
The "unfair" aspect of your citation is not mentioned. If you have a reasonable question about the judgement employed by the officer, or fatal error in the citation, AND you did not sign the wrong place on the citation....the "guilty" box...then you may have some chance with a judge. Still, you will have to get a lawyer to do the thing, or go back to New Mexico and take your chances in person. Writing letters to New Mexico judges and officials has proven ineffective and fruitless for me. If you were tricked into signing the "guilty" blank, then your goose is cooked....you get no presumption of innocence, no due process. The door is closed, unless you are prepared to go to the higher courts on constitutional grounds. The lawyer route is probably the best bet. But, if you do decide to write letters, do it immediately, maybe even sending two, by registered mail (certified will not do), because New Mexico has a way of losing and misdirecting mail, and nobody will own up to having seen the letter, unless you get a signature card back.

If your citation was issued out on the highway, be sure to research the language used for "location". I (also out of state licence plates) was similarly "targeted" without cause, and it turns out the cop just needed a victim (scarce on that day) who could not know what "district" and "mile post" numbers signify. He wrote in a location that was 65 miles distant from the site of the citation....so's he would establish record (falsely, of course) that he was in his home county and normally working those roads. Good luck. Post your results.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">