• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

10 year old son/3 front teeth

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

momkag

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? FL

I dropped my son off at a birthday party of a friend. They were playing with a rope swing with a block of wood for a seat. No one was swinging on it, but the children were seeing how fast and high they could push the swing. (And the mother at the party apparently knew what they were doing because she said my child was doing it to.) The swing bouced off the tree and into my son's mouth. He had two front teeth completely knocked out and one vertically cut in half. They found one tooth and the 1/2 tooth, but not the third. Since it was Saturday, we couldn't find an open dentist (ours was out of town) and we took him to the emergency room to have the one tooth reinserted. (No novicane!!) They couldn't get the tooth all the way back in so they referred me back to the dentist. To make a long story short, (and after 5 different emergency room/dental/orthodonist visits in one week), the had to put braces on his top teeth to try to push up the one that couldn't be inserted all the way and space the one was was missing. He's going for root canals next week on the reinserted tooth (and maybe the 1/2 tooth...depending on how that one is holding up). As for the other missing tooth, my dentist said he will have to have some sort of bridge until he can get and implant when his mouth is done growing at 16 years old (if he has enough bone to even have one). When I asked my dentist for a bottom line...what would it cost to fix...he told he that HE had had his two front teeth knock out by a baseball when he was a kid (which is why he became a dentist) and that my son will have problems and his teeth will cost him money the rest of his life. He wouldn't give me any "ballpark" figure.

I am not a "sueing" kind of person and I do not want to go that route. (I've read a few posts on this site and, quite frankly, some people who are trying to get money for nothing ought to be ashamed of themselves.) I would prefer to settle with their insurance company. Their insurance company has contacted me. (No I have not and do not intend to sign anything.) But my question is this...how in the world do I know how much to ask the insurance company for?? I do not want my son...when he's 30 years old or so...to have to chose between replacing a failing implant and his other bills. (I myself have a 14 year old implant and have been told it's failing...and it was a failed root canal before that.) I also cannot afford the time a big legal case would take, as I've already paid the orthodontist $500 (no...he did NOT have braces before) and have not even gotten the emergency room bill or ANY of the dental bills.

By the way, when I picked up my son from this party, he was standing at the end of the driveway, crying, with his tooth in a baggie. The mother did not even come out to say ONE word to me...not "I'm sorry"...not anything. That REALLY makes me angry. And if he goes on a car ride longer than a couple of minutes, he starts to scream and scream! Apparently the vibration of riding in a vehicle is too much for his reinserted tooth.

Any research you can point me to or information on long term dental costs would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

teflon_jones

Your son willfully engaged in this behavior and it's his own fault that he was injured. It's not the other family's fault, it's just an unfortunate accident. If their insurance company is willing to pay something, then great, but I wouldn't count on it. In order for them to pay, they have to feel that their policy holder was in some way negligent for what happened. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. Homeowner's insurance claims are not my specialty.

As for long-term medical costs, an implant today costs about $2500-3000. If your son needs a bone graft, that will run another $1000-2000. In 10 years, who knows how much these will cost, and how much of them an insurance company will cover. As for them failing, implants today are much better than they were 14 years ago. I speak from personal experience since I looked at having one done around that same time, but opted for a bridge instead, and just had the implant and bone graft done in the last few years. The medical technology associated with them is so different that you can't even compare them. So, if you want an amount to have 3 implants done, I'd look at about $12-15K figuring in inflation. Your son would need 3 implants, but probably only one bone graft (if that's even necessary at all).

Negligence

Main Entry: neg·li·gence
Pronunciation: 'ne-gli-j&n(t)s
Function: noun
Date: 14th century
1 a : the quality or state of being negligent b : failure to exercise the care that a prudent person usually exercises 2 : an act or instance of being negligent

Ten year old children should not be left to SUPERVISE themselves. I would think that a host to a childrens birthday party would have had better sense than to let the children hurl a solid block of wood suspended from a rope @ eachother :eek:

My son is twenty now.I have hosted many birthday parties. The kids who attended the parties always left my home with the same amount of teeth they arrived with!

If the child were merely swinging on the swing and had fallen off. I would say "accidents happen"

However,this sounds like stupidity and carelessness that could have been avoided!

Just my opinion......

Lynx 36

DiannaMaria66 said:
Main Entry: neg·li·gence
Pronunciation: 'ne-gli-j&n(t)s
Function: noun
Date: 14th century
1 a : the quality or state of being negligent b : failure to exercise the care that a prudent person usually exercises 2 : an act or instance of being negligent

Ten year old children should not be left to SUPERVISE themselves. I would think that a host to a childrens birthday party would have had better sense than to let the children hurl a solid block of wood suspended from a rope @ eachother :eek:

My son is twenty now.I have hosted many birthday parties. The kids who attended the parties always left my home with the same amount of teeth they arrived with!

If the child were merely swinging on the swing and had fallen off. I would say "accidents happen"

However,this sounds like stupidity and carelessness that could have been avoided!

Just my opinion......
Give me a break! Kids get hurt when they play or horse around. There was no negligence here.

Before kids come over my house to play I put them through a safety program. I show them the movie Bloody Swingsets which shows them different accidents on swingsets in their full gory detail. This encourages them to be careful or it could happen to them. After the kids are done crying I then have their parents sign a waiver, releasing me from all liability. After the waiver is signed a make the parents wrap their kids up in layers of bubble wrap. They then put on a helmet so they don't hit their head. The face mask also prevents swings from hitting them in the mouth you see. The kids upon entering my property can only play on the swingset. They have to watch while my kids swim in the pool and jump on the trampoline as the insurance company has an exemption on my policy not allowing neighbors kids on or in them. And running on my property, forget about it. Any kid caught running on my property is immediately barred from my premises for a period of not less than one year. After all they could get hurt right?

Is this what the world is coming to? Sheeesh!

Lynx 36 said:
Give me a break! Kids get hurt when they play or horse around. There was no negligence here.

Before kids come over my house to play I put them through a safety program. I show them the movie Bloody Swingsets which shows them different accidents on swingsets in their full gory detail. This encourages them to be careful or it could happen to them. After the kids are done crying I then have their parents sign a waiver, releasing me from all liability. After the waiver is signed a make the parents wrap their kids up in layers of bubble wrap. They then put on a helmet so they don't hit their head. The face mask also prevents swings from hitting them in the mouth you see. The kids upon entering my property can only play on the swingset. They have to watch while my kids swim in the pool and jump on the trampoline as the insurance company has an exemption on my policy not allowing neighbors kids on or in them. And running on my property, forget about it. Any kid caught running on my property is immediately barred from my premises for a period of not less than one year. After all they could get hurt right?

Is this what the world is coming to? Sheeesh!
ROFLPMP

Very amusing! Like I said, if a kid would fall off a tramp or a swing while using them in the intended way...I would say "oh hell,what a shame,accidents happen" What was the other party game that day? "Scissor Toss" ?

Then for the host to not call the parent,leave the child with a tooth in a baggie,etc. No excuse!

The defense would not want me on a jury!

ENASNI

Lynx you crack me up!

Too bad this didn't happen before Christmas...

I feel for your son, had my bottom teeth knocked out when I was 11.
Exposed nerves.... eeeekkk. still makes me shiver...
but methinks no dice here on law suit... might have had a chance with Santa.

All I Want for Christmas
Is My Two Front Teeth
Don Gardner

All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth,
My two front teeth, see my two front teeth.
Gee, if I could only have my two front teeth,
Then I could wish you "Merry Christmas."

It seems so long since I could say,
"Sister Susie sitting on a thistle."
Gosh, oh gee, how happy I'd be
If I could only whistle.

All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth,
My two front teeth, see my two front teeth
Gee, if I could only have my two front teeth,
Then I could wish you "Merry Christmas."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">