• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

This is a tough one...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

0UTSIDER

What is the name of your state? Michigan. I have a question that may be tough to answer. Our village is attempting to get a municipal sewer system. Many of the village residents have been posting on a local internet forum against the system. I am one of them. Some people have attacked the village council directly, to the point of using their names on the board. I have not done this. I have been the largest voice against the sewer on the board, and have caused them some trouble, but not using any illegal tactics. A village official requested the true names of the people on the board saying they had defamed him. Some of this may have been factual. I on the other hand, have done nothing that could be considered defamatory. My name was also requested. My question is do I have any legal recourse because of this? I feel he attempted to get my real name in an illegal manner. I had not defamed him in any way. Could this be considered a false accusation against me? The way I see this is a village official, falsly accused me of defaming him on an internet forum. The fact that I use a nickname on the forum does not negate the fact that what I was accused of was false. That same village official then requested my true name, using those false accusations to attempt to get my real name. That same village official then allowed this information to be printed in a local newspaper.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">