• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

which forms ??? and generally how to..???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

diovan

What is the name of your state? CT

I recently got married to a foreigner who was here on b1visa, she hasn't overstayed but i would want her not to go back to her country anymore, what forms do i file to have her stay for good and how do i get her a ss#? generally, how do we go about the process?

i hope atty. lana can help me out, ive been scanning the pages and im getting dizzy not finding a post that applies specifically to me, so please help out with my query, thank you.

BCgirl

Hi Diovan;
I'm new to this too and finding out as we go along...
Sounds like your situation is similar to mine though. I'm here on a B-1, married to a USC. What we should have done is -- filed an I-130, an I-485 and an I-765 all at once. I'm assuming that your spouse is still in the States.
We got those forms from the USCIS website, but watch for notices on that site, because the information given with the forms when you print them out might be out of date. E.g. what form of photos to use, fees, etc.
Good luck to you!

ImmigAttyLana

If you are planning to file on your own, then you can either download the forms from the USCIS website or get them from the local USCIS office. If you are planning to work with an attorney on this process, then he/she will take care of all the necessary paperwork for you. YOu do not need to work with an attorney but because the instructions on the forms are out of date, if you submit the applications incorrectly, they will be returned to you and you will be wasting significant time.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if I may be of further assistance to you in this matter.

diovan

btw atty lana,

will it be alright if the wife doesnt adapt the husband's last name? will it affect her application for permanent residency by marriage

ImmigAttyLana

NO, it's not a problem. It is not required that the wife change her name to her husband's. If she keeps her last name, it will not have any effect on her permanent residence petition.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if I may be of further assistance to you in this matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">