• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alimony: Will I EVER get it????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

omsgirl60

What is the name of your state? Illinois

My divorce was final in August of 2004 and I was awarded a one time award of $30,000. My case is different because my husband is totally disabled and his mother is his guardian. Since the divorce, she ask for a redetermination but the judge still kept it the same. She has refused to pay saying she doesn't have it yet she pays herself about $25,000. a year to take care of him out of the money he has. My daughter heard her say (she is 17 and I have one more, 12. They only receive $368. a month for the two of them), she would rather go to jail than pay me. Since she says she "doesn't have it", will I ever see the money?????? I know the cash is there but how do I get it? I have a lawyer and she is going to do the show cause. Do I really have a chance of getting it though? :confused:

nextwife

Actually, in a marriage in which alimony WAS awarded, if you are able bodied and he is totally unable to work, I'm surprised that HE wasn't awarded alimony from you.

djohnson

Talk to your attorney, file contempt charges. You may be able to get a judgment and attach it in order to get the money due you per court order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">