• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can I apply for my 17 yr old sister with my mom?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?tx
I am a US citizen and I have applied for my mother (I-130). Her case is in process and I want to know if I can also apply for my sister at the same time so she can also come with my mom. Is that possible? If not, what would be the best and fastest way to bring her here?
thanks in advance

ImmigAttyLana

No, your sister will not be able to come with your mom. At best, if she qualifies for humanitarian parole, she may be able to come with your mom or shortly thereafter. Otherwise, the wait time for a sibling of a US citizen is about 12 years. Once your mother enters the US as an immigrant and petitions your sister, the wait time would be reduced but it will still be about 6-7 years.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if I may be of further assistance to you in this matter.

Thanks Lana. What are the criteria for the humanitarian parole and how to initiate that process? My all sisters and brothers are married except that sister. Therfore, I am trying to bring her with mom here.
Thanks.

ImmigAttyLana

Your mother must first have a visa granted to her before you can initiate the humanitarian parole process for your sister. Do you plan to handle that process on your own or with assistance of counsel?

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if I may be of further assistance to you in this matter.

If its not very complicated process, I would like to handle it myself, otherwise definitely with the help of a imm lawer. Dose INS have information about this type of case on their website? Thanks

If its not very complicated process, I would like to handle it myself, otherwise definitely with the help of a imm lawer. Dose INS have information about this type of case on their website? Also she is my step sister, that being the case will she still be able to get visa on humanitarian basis?

ImmigAttyLana

I do not believe the USCIS has information about this process on its website but you can certainly look into this. As far as I know, this is not a very commonly used process so I am not sure where you would find the how to's on this if you decide to work on it by yourself. The fact that she is your stepsister should not have any effect on whether or not it is approved, since it is really your mother who would be making the request.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">