• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Water Damage to Unit Below Me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

newcondoOwner

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

On sep 3, I had an inspection done on a condo. The insp found a lot of water damage under the sink, but the inspector found no active leak. He said whatever caused it was resolved.

On sep 30, I closed.

On Oct 10, the unit below me found mold in a bottom cabinet and a water stain on ceiling around HVAC vent and warped walls. She reported it to Mgt company. Mgt company and assoc have written policy stating that mgt co to investigate water damage and determine cause. No one notified me.

On Oct 23, unaware of water problem below, I installed a new dishwasher.
On Oct 30, I moved into condo.

On Nov 5, I was notified that there was a problem. Mgt co still had not responded to problem beyond sending me a letter telling me to fix problem in 15 days or suffer consequences. Same letter sent to my next door neighbor.
I denied responsibility, referred mgt co to inspection report that clearly showed water damage before I owned. Also had numerous other possible sources of water damage to first floor on report.

Nov 22, mgt co finally sent plumber. Plumber blamed my new dishwasher. When I protested that dw was not installed until 10/23, plumber theorized that damage was caused by previous dw.

Mgt co will not acknowledge timing issue of my dw. They continue to try to force this on me. The are charging me for plumbers visit and will not back down. They still are sending me emails telling me that they believe this is my fault.

HomeGuru

newcondoOwner said:
What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

On sep 3, I had an inspection done on a condo. The insp found a lot of water damage under the sink, but the inspector found no active leak. He said whatever caused it was resolved.

On sep 30, I closed.

On Oct 10, the unit below me found mold in a bottom cabinet and a water stain on ceiling around HVAC vent and warped walls. She reported it to Mgt company. Mgt company and assoc have written policy stating that mgt co to investigate water damage and determine cause. No one notified me.

On Oct 23, unaware of water problem below, I installed a new dishwasher.
On Oct 30, I moved into condo.

On Nov 5, I was notified that there was a problem. Mgt co still had not responded to problem beyond sending me a letter telling me to fix problem in 15 days or suffer consequences. Same letter sent to my next door neighbor.
I denied responsibility, referred mgt co to inspection report that clearly showed water damage before I owned. Also had numerous other possible sources of water damage to first floor on report.

Nov 22, mgt co finally sent plumber. Plumber blamed my new dishwasher. When I protested that dw was not installed until 10/23, plumber theorized that damage was caused by previous dw.

Mgt co will not acknowledge timing issue of my dw. They continue to try to force this on me. The are charging me for plumbers visit and will not back down. They still are sending me emails telling me that they believe this is my fault.
**A: thank you for writing.

newcondoOwner

An actual question

Sorry, I did not ask a question....

Do I have any recourse to force the mgt company to stop harassing me? I met with the board, they seemed sympathetic, but subsequent communication from the mgt co was like the board meeting never happened.

The mgt co is also threatening to charge my conde fee account for whatever they deem necessary, as they have done with the plumber's bill. How do I get these charges removed?

Lastly, Is there a time limit on how long the mgt co can drag this out? Can they come back at me in 6 months claiming the damage was my fault and put a lien on my condo? It has been four months already.

HomeGuru

newcondoOwner said:
Sorry, I did not ask a question....

Do I have any recourse to force the mgt company to stop harassing me? I met with the board, they seemed sympathetic, but subsequent communication from the mgt co was like the board meeting never happened.

The mgt co is also threatening to charge my conde fee account for whatever they deem necessary, as they have done with the plumber's bill. How do I get these charges removed?

Lastly, Is there a time limit on how long the mgt co can drag this out? Can they come back at me in 6 months claiming the damage was my fault and put a lien on my condo? It has been four months already.

**A: yes, they can and in fact can do so years later so hire a real estate attorney to deal with these jerks.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">