• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adult Emancipation and biological readoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dimuush

What is the name of your state?Florida

Hi, I was orginally adopted in the state New Jersey, if that has any bearing on this question, as their law may be the ones that govern my question/problem. I was adopted as a baby by what turned out to be a very abusive couple. I dissolved my relationship with them when I was 16, although not leagally. I just moved out and began my own life. I have been recently found by my biological mother and have never been so happy. I am wondering these things:
1 - How can I terminate all ability for those who originally adopted me to be found by them? I wish no contact with them ever again, I don't want them to be able to find me if they should look, and I want no record of them ever having anything to do with me. Basically, I feel like I want witness protection... not to be a smart-alec.. but that's how I feel. I want nothing to do with them or for them to be able to find me, ever. I imagine if they wanted to, they could find me w/ social security records, or passport numbers, as I'm sure they still have that information about me. And I want it changed if I can. I just don't know how much other than my name change can be changed.
2- Can I be emancipated? Do I need to do that as an adult? In effect, to sever all ties to the adopted people.
3 - Does my biological mother need to readopt me to be considered my parent and be put on my birth certificate? I know this would make her so happy, and I would love to do it for her. Can I just change the certificate to put her as my mother without the leagl adoption? Even as an adult?
Thanks to anyone who has had issues like this and can offer advice or help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">