• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adjustment of status - no valid passport

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dreamstar101

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?GA

I want to file for adjustment of status, I am married to US Citizen, but I have no valid passport. What can I do?
Thanks for all replies!

ImmigAttyLana

What do you mean by not having a valid passport? Do you not have a passport at all? Is it expired? If you do not have a passport, how did you enter the US? Are you Canadian? Please clarify.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if I may be of further assistance to you in this matter.

dreamstar101

Passport expired

GA
Thanks, Lana! I am from Germany, came to US in 1987 with a german passport and a visitor visa. Now my passport is expired for years already, and I cannot get a new one from the consulate since I have to show a green card.
I am a little desperate, because I got a DUI in Oct. 2004 and got my license suspended for 120 days. (It was my only picture ID). In March I can try to get the license reinstated, but they might ask for a SS# as they did when I applied for a work permit (I didn't get the work permit without showing a valid SS#).
I know I have a mess, but I also hope you can give me some pointers on what to do? It's greatly appreciated! I read a lot of the posts in the forum and saw that you already helped a lot of people.
I got married to US Citizen In Jan. 2005. Now we want to go for the AOS.
What's the best way? Thanks so much! :)

ImmigAttyLana

So if you are now married to a USC, as long as you can show proof of a valid entry intially in 1987, you should be eligible for permanent residence, notwithstanding the DUI (although this is something that will need to be analyzed separately). Once you file for adjustment of status, you can also apply for a work authorization document and once that's granted you can apply for the SS#.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if I may be of further assistance to you in this matter.

dreamstar101

Lana, one more question please!

GA
Thanks Lana! I got one more question. I have a shoplifting in CA that was charged as a burglary in 1990. I never went to the courtdate. will it affect my AOS?
What can I do to get this dismissed or reduced since it is a PC 459 (felony)?
Can it be this is still an open case? Can it be that there still is a bench warrant out there? :(
Thank you so much for all your help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">