• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cop wrote on carbon copy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bleron

What is the name of your state? NY
Cop gave me a ticket, allowing me to plead no contest but wrtoe on carbon copy with pen reinforcing the ticket, naturally not perfectly.

1. Is there such a thing as no contest (nolo contendere) that the cop can decide to give you on the spot

2. Writing in the carbon copy after separatingit from the original, is that violation of due process, should the ticket be voided. I did voide aparking ticket on that basis once, only after I insisted against the judge and he had to call a superior judge, who, to my delight, hadto overrule him. What you think?

qcxlvr1

bleron said:
What is the name of your state? NY
Cop gave me a ticket, allowing me to plead no contest but wrtoe on carbon copy with pen reinforcing the ticket, naturally not perfectly.

1. Is there such a thing as no contest (nolo contendere) that the cop can decide to give you on the spot

2. Writing in the carbon copy after separatingit from the original, is that violation of due process, should the ticket be voided. I did voide aparking ticket on that basis once, only after I insisted against the judge and he had to call a superior judge, who, to my delight, hadto overrule him. What you think?
A police officer in New York isn't authorized to accept pleas. They enforce the law and refer matters to the appropriate authority for prosecution. Additionally, "nolo contendre" isn't generally used for traffic matters in New York.

On the other issue, if I understand you correctly, you are indicating that the officer used pen on your yellow copy of the ticket? Did he change information? You'll have to be a little more specific. You're generally not supposed to do this, however.

What did you receive the summons for?

It is not uncommon for an Officer to write on the Carbon copy.It usually is done so the violator can read it. And as the previous responce was....He or she should not change information on the copy. Some of these copies are very hard to read...some have up to four pages per cite to write the information on. Patrolman/John Buckner

bleron

CT.

I forgot to mention I was stopped in CT although live in NY. Was speeding 88 on 55, got nolo contendere as cop said loved my car and was being "nice." The information hasn't changed, with the exception that teh enforcement of numbers/letters wasnt perfect, i.e. the "0" overwrites the cc zero so as to almost make an "8". My question is, writing with a pen directly on the copy, is that a violation of due process to begin with, and if not, do imperfections lead to a likely dismissal? Thanks for your response so far!

qcxlvr1

bleron said:
CT.

I forgot to mention I was stopped in CT although live in NY. Was speeding 88 on 55, got nolo contendere as cop said loved my car and was being "nice." The information hasn't changed, with the exception that teh enforcement of numbers/letters wasnt perfect, i.e. the "0" overwrites the cc zero so as to almost make an "8". My question is, writing with a pen directly on the copy, is that a violation of due process to begin with, and if not, do imperfections lead to a likely dismissal? Thanks for your response so far!
It doesn't violate due process in any shape, way or form. In most departments, it would violate procedure.

Nolo contendre is a plea accepted by the courts whereby you do not admit the charges or dispute them, but agree to accept consequences. I am confused as to how a police officer on the side of the road is authorized to accept a plea from you. I've never heard of that anywhere.

The police charge and the courts prosecute.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">