• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Received bad news today... MY LIFE IS OVER!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SecondChances

What is the name of your state? PA

Hi guys, My name is Erik, I am 22 and I live in Philadelphia,Pa. When I was 18 years old I was convicted of possesion with intent to deliver. that is a felony. I was then sentences to prison.

I served 6 months and I thought I repayed my debth to society. After I got out of jail, I had oppurtunites to go back to the life I had. But I chose not to. i wanted to do good. I wanted to make myself and my mom proud. I went to college(no financial aid due to felony, so I did 2 jobs at a time) and I am close to achieving my associates. I sacrificed so one day when I get my bachelors I could get my record expunged.

Well today, I called a few lawyers and all of them said the same thing. PA does not do record expungements. PA does pardons but they are unofficially not willing to pardon any drug convicted felons. My heart sank when I heard that. ALL MY SACRIFICES AND HOPES SANK. Anger arose, but I'm also confused. I don't see a point in going to college no more. I don't see a point in trying to be a model citizen. Maybe I'm just angry. But I don't know

What's the point of a degree if you have a felony.

Anyways, what can I do?

Could I move to another state after I get a degree and use that degree there without having my felony in PA show up?

How bout Canada?

Anything would help..

I really am trying to do good...

And I really don't want to get back to the life I use to live,,,

But right now it's hard.. Im disapointed and angry.. at the system and myself!!

Any advice you could give would help... But Id like you to be honest. if there is nothing I can do, then tell me that.

SecondChances

lol. i know you were trying to help. But I guess your honest. I feel the same way you probably felt after you got your degree. Did you try moving to another state? I'm in PA. And Im thinking of moving to Cali. Would that help with the background checks?

smutlydog

In Texas when you are convicted the file goes to the Department of Public safety and the FBI so most background checks cover that. I did send numerous resumes to out of state companies but with no avail. Because of your age you may have better luck than I did. Part of my bad luck may have been due the fact that I was middle age and looking for an entry level position. I suspect it was a combination of both.

Heather2

SecondChances said:
What is the name of your state? PA

Hi guys, My name is Erik, I am 22 and I live in Philadelphia,Pa. When I was 18 years old I was convicted of possesion with intent to deliver. that is a felony. I was then sentences to prison.

I served 6 months and I thought I repayed my debth to society. After I got out of jail, I had oppurtunites to go back to the life I had. But I chose not to. i wanted to do good. I wanted to make myself and my mom proud. I went to college(no financial aid due to felony, so I did 2 jobs at a time) and I am close to achieving my associates. I sacrificed so one day when I get my bachelors I could get my record expunged.

Well today, I called a few lawyers and all of them said the same thing. PA does not do record expungements. PA does pardons but they are unofficially not willing to pardon any drug convicted felons. My heart sank when I heard that. ALL MY SACRIFICES AND HOPES SANK. Anger arose, but I'm also confused. I don't see a point in going to college no more. I don't see a point in trying to be a model citizen. Maybe I'm just angry. But I don't know

What's the point of a degree if you have a felony.

Anyways, what can I do?

Could I move to another state after I get a degree and use that degree there without having my felony in PA show up?

How bout Canada?

Anything would help..

I really am trying to do good...

And I really don't want to get back to the life I use to live,,,

But right now it's hard.. Im disapointed and angry.. at the system and myself!!

Any advice you could give would help... But Id like you to be honest. if there is nothing I can do, then tell me that.
That really sucks!!!
I had posted a question on here just about what shows up on a background check and they told me that not all companies do criminal background checks. Every company is different and don't always check nationwide (they check that particular state).

I don't think you should just give up and go back to selling though. You could end up in even worse trouble than now. After I post this, I'm going to send another post with the questions I had about background checks, so take a look if you want. Don't give up!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">