• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Proof I wasn't speeding?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BadTime

What is the name of your state? Louisiana
I recently received a ticket in Louisiana for 84 in a 70. I was incredulous that I was going that fast (the usual, I was behind another car just following). I was having car problems and my Father had given me a CarChip data logger. It occurred to me that I had it in my car at the time. I also had my laptop. So I down loaded it and showed it to the Trooper (It said that I was going 75). No help got the ticket anyway. I’m wondering if it is worth fighting, or do you think the judge would really care if about the whole deal. I for one trust the radar more than I do me or the Trooper for that matter. I do however trust the CarChip more than I trust me or the Trooper also. :confused:

fedcop110

The Trooper actually let you show him on your computer how fast you were going? Nice guy. If the trooper tested the calibration on the radar and can testify as to a good tracking history (which he did and he can) then it is probably not worth fighting. At least not in my book. Hope this helps.

If the insurance companies get their way (and they probably will..) someday everyone will be required to have a similar device in their car. Scanners along the highway will poll the chip and send you speeding tickets in the mail. :D

It might be worth giving CarCHIP a call and see if anyone else has had luck with this defense. The trick would be to prove the data in the chip was acquired when the officer clocked your speed.

BadTime

The Trooper that gave me the ticket was actually a nice guy. He told me he just does what the guy on the over pass says. He even said I could go and talk to him. I actually did. He wasn't so nice. This Trooper got really agitated and started waving his arms. He was wound kind of tight. I got nervous with his antics and decided to leave.

No problem proving the time. The logger shows the time. The chip is marketed so you can check on your kids driving.

I've since decided to pay. I've been thinking about it and realized that the places for error are either human or machine. The most comon error is the driver, but that is canceled by the CarChip (I've since checked the chip with a GPS). I don't care what anbody thinks, the radar is a pretty solid technology. That just leaves the Trooper. With his hostility, it stands to reason it was probably intentional. I just don't need that kind of trouble. I'm a big boy now and need to realize that Justice is just a business, like everything else. :mad:

BadTime said:
I've since decided to pay. .... I just don't need that kind of trouble. I'm a big boy now and need to realize that Justice is just a business, like everything else. :mad:
You sound like a practical person. Still, I would take exception to the notion "Justice is just a business". It's more like a faith...something you get or you don't, and the process of getting it just don't come to most people. If there was just some way to keep guilty people form clogging up the court time, and we innocents could get a hearing (accompanied, of course, by the presumption of innocence), faith in the system might be restored.

BadTime

I do like the analogy to faith. There is just so much money tied in with it. It can't help but become corrupted.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">