• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First ticket...kinda fast

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

asc325is

What is the name of your state? tx
I posted a message earlier in the week, im just trying to get more adivce so I'm posting again.

97 in a 70, Interstate highway, almost no traffic. I was hoping someone could tell me what i can do to try to get it lowered to 94 mph. I haven't had a ticket nor have I ever been in a court room, so I'm really nervous about my court appearence. I didn't mean to be going that fast, and honestly i didn't even realize it. Are there any tricks i can do to try to get it lowered?

I'm a college student and my family can't afford this ticket to be on my insurance. Will family hardship help me in court?

You have been driving how long ?? and could not tell that you may have been just a tad over 70? I have heard that one a time or two. HMM 97......You might ask the judge during your appearance in court . Patrolman Buckner

S

seniorjudge

"...Will family hardship help me in court?..."

OP, note story #2 below:

Standard answer

Here are some hints on appearing in court:

Dress professionally in clean clothes.

Do not wear message shirts.

Don't chew gum, smoke, or eat.

Bathe and wash your hair.

Go to court beforehand some day before you actually have to go to watch how things go.

Speak politely and deferentially. If you argue or dispute something, do it professionally and without emotion.

Ask the court clerk who you talk to about a diversion (meaning you want to plead to a different, lesser charge), if applicable in your situation.

Here are five stories that criminal court judges hear the most (and I suggest you do not use them or variations of them):

1. I’ve been saved! (This is not religion specific; folks from all kinds of religious backgrounds use this one.)

2. My girlfriend/mother/sister/daughter is pregnant/sick/dying/dead/crippled and needs my help.

3. I’ve got a job in [name a state five hundred miles away].

4. This is the first time I ever did this.

5. You’ve got the wrong guy. (A variation of this one is the phantom defendant story: “It wasn’t me driving, it was a hitchhiker I picked up. He wrecked the car, drug me behind the wheel then took off.”)

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?p=854687#post854687

Other people may give you other advice; stand by.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">