• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questions about marriage to a US Citizen

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Civic Girl

What is the name of your state?California

Lana, I just got married to a US citizen, I'm Canadian. I'm going to be filing for adjustment of status through marriage (I'm an overstay). We are going to be ordering our marriage certificates, but what I'm wondering, how many should I get for immigration purposes? I know I need certified ones for immigration, but I'm not sure how many extras to get.

Also, I have one more question. To change my maiden name to my husbands last name, from what I know, I need to go in person to do this. Do you know of any other way to change my last name before I apply for Adjustment of status? Wherever I fill out my last name on my forms, do I have to just fill out my maiden name only? Is there a way I can write my new last name also even though it won't match any of my id's? Or will I have to wait until I have received my green card to go through the process here in the US of changing my last name? I'm not sure what to do?! Any advice you can give me is appreciated. Thank you in advance! Sincerely, Civic Girl.

rtmetro

i have the same question for my fiance

when you get an answer for this, could you please forward it over to me. my fiance will be facing this problem very soon and i would like to help her out and move this along as quickly as possible. thanks. [email protected]

ImmigAttyLana

One copy of the certified marriage certificate is sufficient.

As for the name change, if you want to start using your husband's name, you can simply write that name on all the forms and this will be substantiated by the marriage certificate.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if I may be of further assistance to you in this matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">