• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Assets and SSDI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hurting_Nurse

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New York State

I'm a registered nurse and recently injured my LEFT hand on the job. I injured my RIGHT hand on the job 3 years ago, and it has never recovered fully. My doctor suggested possible SSDI as he doubts my hand condition(s) will improve significantly. As well, I have other medical problems (fibromyalgia, unipolar disorder, anxiety disorder, neuropathy, Hashimoto's thyroiditis), and have been hanging on to work as long as possible (I am 48), hoping to retire early at age 55. :rolleyes:

I am married, I support my husband and my handicapped 19y.o. son, whom is in the middle of the appeals process for SSI. I was unable to apply for his SSI until he turned 18 as I "made too much money." :confused:

So my main question is this . . . does the fact that I own a home and have money in the bank have any bearing on my ELIGIBILITY for SSDI. I am aware income does effect the amount of benefits you receive, but does it effect your eligibility?

Any response is very appreciated.
:)

bjl1105

Hurting_Nurse said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New York State

I'm a registered nurse and recently injured my LEFT hand on the job. I injured my RIGHT hand on the job 3 years ago, and it has never recovered fully. My doctor suggested possible SSDI as he doubts my hand condition(s) will improve significantly. As well, I have other medical problems (fibromyalgia, unipolar disorder, anxiety disorder, neuropathy, Hashimoto's thyroiditis), and have been hanging on to work as long as possible (I am 48), hoping to retire early at age 55. :rolleyes:

I am married, I support my husband and my handicapped 19y.o. son, whom is in the middle of the appeals process for SSI. I was unable to apply for his SSI until he turned 18 as I "made too much money." :confused:

So my main question is this . . . does the fact that I own a home and have money in the bank have any bearing on my ELIGIBILITY for SSDI. I am aware income does effect the amount of benefits you receive, but does it effect your eligibility?

Any response is very appreciated.
:)
The fact that you own a home and have money in the bank has NO bearing on your SSDI eligibility. Income does NOT affect the amount you receive (unless it is wages or workmans comp). Check out this info at : www.socialsecurity.gov

Your income affected your son's eligibility for SSI because SSI is based on financial need (in the case of a child u/age 18, parents income is considered as well as the childs income). At age 18, the parents income is no longer considered in the eligibility determination.

File as soon as possible, the decisions take a long time.

BL

If your Dr. is recommending SSDI , and supporting it , you will most likely receive it .
SSA looks at all of the medical information .

If you start receiving SSDI , once you become required retirement age ( not 55 ) , You will receive the same amount as SSDI , only it will be called retirement benefits then .

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">