• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adopt step child after they turn 18

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pattyjo

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?OR
My Husband wants to adopt my daughters who are now 22 and 23 years old. How do we get started?
He has been their dad since they were 8 and 9 years old. We are adopting a 15 year old foster daughter and thought it would be nice if my husband adopted the older girls too.

S

seniorjudge

pattyjo said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?OR
My Husband wants to adopt my daughters who are now 22 and 23 years old. How do we get started?
He has been their dad since they were 8 and 9 years old. We are adopting a 15 year old foster daughter and thought it would be nice if my husband adopted the older girls too.
You need to go to a family law attorney. That lawyer will guide you through the process, especially the question of whether parental rights need to be terminated for an adult child.

What happened to the father of your children? Is he still alive?

Let me know what your lawyer says.

This is an intriguing situation.

pattyjo

Their dad is a dead beat dad. He was always mad that he had to pay child support which was garnished from his wages. we were only married 1 year and half and I was a teenager and he was 25. He was a drug addict. He has a new wife and three other kids.
Both my girls were recently married and graduated from college and didn't invite him. They have not seen him in 15 years or so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">