• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Improperly filled out speeding ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CCF

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

If a speeding ticket has not been fully filled in by the officer, what are the odds of having the ticket either reduced or throw-out. In this case, the officer left completely blank the section for My speed, posted speed, amout over the limit. In the description he wrote "speeding" and that's it.

The ticket is for $156.00 and is estimated at 4pts on the ticket.

If the odds are favorable, what should I do next?

mikeshoe

get a copy of the officer's statement on the reverse of the ticket and see what you wanna do after that.

CCF said:
What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

The ticket is for $156.00 and is estimated at 4pts on the ticket.

If the odds are favorable, what should I do next?
A lawyer may take the case for $155 or less, and that would certainly make it worth the trouble. Or, you could tell it to the judge, personally. Sounds like you just may have a way to get a guilty person off....or a reduced charge, down to merely "speeding", and not as expensive as "flying like a bat out of hell".

ptlmejo

What statue is listed on it?

Certain statues don't require a speed listed, such as unreasonable and imprudent speed...

CCF

Thanks for your advice

Ok so I mailed in a request to get a copy of the officers written notes and I'm still waiting for something back.

In the meantime, the statue that is written on the ticket is 346.57(4) L. I looked up this statue on two different spots on the web. Both official state of wisconsin sites. "L" under 346.57(4) does not exist in the documentation that is available to me. Currerntly there is an "A" - "K" under 346.57(4), perhaps "L" is a new update that I can't see on the website?

If "L" does not in fact exist, what would this mean?

Thanks

S

seniorjudge

Q: If "L" does not in fact exist, what would this mean?

A: It would mean that it is a defective ticket. If you are charged under a non-existent statute, then you have no way to prepare your defense.

However, if the ticket is dismissed, the prosecutor may correct the mistakes and re-file it.

And, no, that is not in violation of "double jeopardy" because jeopardy has never attached (meaning you lose).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">