• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

custody/joint guardianship of grandson

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

angelz05

What is the name of your state? california

I don't know what to do or where to turn, or if I even have any rights. My grandson lives with his unfit mother and his great-grandmother, the mother is 19 and does not take care of her son at all, mabe around 1hr a day if anything, she is always gone with her fiancee, or friends. She leaves the taking care up to the great grandmother. I also have my grandson 3 days out of the week, it use to be more but the great grandmother told the mother to limit our time with him. The great grandmother acts more like the mother than the actual mother. My grandson loves being with us, he cries when we take him home, I feel he is not being cared for the way he should be, he has hydrocephalus and they smoke around him, they use drugs in the house, alcohol and it is just a very unsafe neighborhood, and not a very good environment. He is 1 yr and 8 months. My son is in prison and will be there for around 1 yr. and a few months more. They don't even call my grandson by his real name, because it is the same as his dads and they don't like him, why? I guess just because he is the dad. They have a hatred for men or fathers, the greatgrandmothers husband left her and her kids a long time ago. Its hard to explain these people, you would have to see them to understand. To them my grandson only belongs to them and not the father, he has no rights. The mother may be getting married to he new boyfriend, who is also a parolee, gang member. And I don't feel he also should be around my grandson. My question is can I get joint-guardianship of my grandson? I know the mother will not agree with that, and especially the great grandmother ( who is also an ex-parolee, drug offender) I don't know what to do, but it breaks my heart every time I have to take my grandson home. I want him with me, and I don't know what to do, or if I even have a chance in court. Im afraid if I go to court and lose, my grandsons mother with take all visitations away from me. Even though she doesn't take care of my grandson at all, she will do it to get back at me, and because her grandmother tells her to. What can I do? she is unfit and so is my grandson's living environment, and I don't know how to prove it, please help?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
You can call CPS and report her for endangering/neglecting the child. But, considering your son's present whereabouts, I would be cautious about throwing stones at Mom & her family.

angelz05

confused

I know, however, I still have rights to my grandson, we have seen him 4-5 days out of the week every week since he has been born, are days got cut to 3 and now, I find out she is moving out with her fiancee and taking my grandson? She doesn't even know how to take care of him, I don't know what she is thinking, her grandmother doesn't want her to take him either.
Do I at least have some kind of right legally to get my visitations , or joint guardianship, her new fiancee is no better than my son, in fact he could be worse. I don't want to call CPS on anyone, all I want is to be in my grandsons life, the way we have been , but since she got engaged, things have changed and I don't think my grandson will be safe with her and him. Do you know of any rights I may have as a grandmother, I am a 38 yr. old grandmother, and I honestly can say that I know my grandson will be better off with me. She is an immature 19 yr. old that I just wish would open her eyes and see what she is doing, because I don't think right now she knows what she is doing at all. She has only known him for 3 months and he is 26yrs. old and I think he is manipulating her. I don't want my grandson around him at all.

LdiJ

angelz05 said:
I know, however, I still have rights to my grandson, we have seen him 4-5 days out of the week every week since he has been born, are days got cut to 3 and now, I find out she is moving out with her fiancee and taking my grandson? She doesn't even know how to take care of him, I don't know what she is thinking, her grandmother doesn't want her to take him either.
Do I at least have some kind of right legally to get my visitations , or joint guardianship, her new fiancee is no better than my son, in fact he could be worse. I don't want to call CPS on anyone, all I want is to be in my grandsons life, the way we have been , but since she got engaged, things have changed and I don't think my grandson will be safe with her and him. Do you know of any rights I may have as a grandmother, I am a 38 yr. old grandmother, and I honestly can say that I know my grandson will be better off with me. She is an immature 19 yr. old that I just wish would open her eyes and see what she is doing, because I don't think right now she knows what she is doing at all. She has only known him for 3 months and he is 26yrs. old and I think he is manipulating her. I don't want my grandson around him at all.
You have absolutely no rights at all unless a court gives you rights.

Laura

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">