• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inactive Ready Reserve Activation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jsdoe

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I am currently in the IRR (Inactive Ready Reserve), and about 6 months ago I "got a letter in the mail." When I left the Army I felt like it was permanent. I am receiving Veterans Disability at a rate of 20% for exercise induced asthma as the result of a spontaneous pneumothorax, and some hearing loss. I am also receiving several other 0% claims, from bi-polar disorder, back injury, and shoulder injury. Obviously I am in no shape for service, so I filed a request for an exemption from mobilization based on my asthma and lifting limitations. After waiting almost 6 months to have my case evaluated I was notified that my request had been denied, and that I was give a 150 day delay. I was also told that I had one appeal and it must be filed within 14 days. One thing that is important to note is the time limit they want me to come back and serve is 18 months, and at this point I don't have that time left on my obligation. The original orders I received were also in error. As I understand, the MOS they _thought_ I was was part of the activation list. It turns out that they screwed up my records and had me under that MOS. When they fixed the orders and my records they told me that it wouldn't change my activation.

Up until I got the order I was going to college full time, and running my own business. Since I have been in limbo for the past 6 months, and will continue to be for the next 6, I have been unable to commit to schooling because I am not sure what my outcome will be. Also, unlike other people who are guaranteed employment rights when deploying I have no such right with my business. Leaving for 18 months now would be detrimental to my life. When I served my four years of active duty time I missed a lot of time away from my wife, and son. Luckily my son was very young, and my absence may not have effected him that much, but he is 6 now, and I fear that this will damage him, not to mention the effect it will have on my marriage. I am not sure what to do right now, and I am feeling really confused. I have read some about the AWOL and DFR punishments and I don't want this to destroy my life. I feel trapped like anything I do will destroy my professional life, and personal life. On one end of the spectrum there is jail, and permanent employment and business hurdles for the rest of my life, and on the other end I face losing my business, and possibly leaving my family forever (death).

When I signed up, I just turned 18. When the recruiter told me that I was signing up for four years, I thought that was it. I believed him, and now people are telling me that I should have known what I was getting myself into.

So on to my questions...
Does anyone have any advice to help me get out of this activation?
What are the repercussions of being dropped from roles?
Are we actually in wartime or not?

I am able to deal with an other than honorable and possibly a dishonorable discharge, but I do not want to go to jail.

Last edited:

there probably hundreds of people out there that are being called back from the IRR that are not wanting to go, and are saying that they are injured or disabled. you best bet if you think that you are not medicaly fit for deployment, would to report to were your supposed to, with all of you docmentation of you medical problems- you might also, go and see your doctor and see if he could write something out for you saying that he doesnt thik that you ae fit for deployment. his opinion might not carry awhole lot of weight, but I dont thnk that it would hurt.

dont feel bad, lots of people are getting deployed- I leave at the end of this comming summer.

also with your business, couldnt you assign power of attorney over to your wife, or a good friend or something. and they could run it while yor gone.

good luck

gphjr

Answer question 1: My only advice would be to show up when you are told to do so. When you go through the Soldier Readiness Checks prodiced you disability documents. You will be evaulated while your there and they will determine if your capable of serving.

Answer question 2: You already know. Possible jail time

Answer question 3: Yes.

My Question for you:
1: What branch are you in?
2: What MOS do you hold?

Comments: No-one wants to die, however its part of the job. You must not have been watching the news. Most IRR soldiers are in the same boat your in. Remember read everything completely before you sign it next.

jsdoe

gphjr said:
My Question for you:
1: What branch are you in?
2: What MOS do you hold?
1. Army
2. Last I knew it was 31R, but it has changed I believe. The original orders said 21B, which is like the guy that clears mine fields or something.

gphjr said:
Comments: No-one wants to die, however its part of the job. You must not have been watching the news. Most IRR soldiers are in the same boat your in. Remember read everything completely before you sign it next.
My vision is 20x20 now after having served 4 years. In retrospect, I was 18, screwed up a lot in high school with depression and drugs, and about to become a father. The Army looked like a pretty good option, and according to the recruiters I had a great MOS with little risk. It's not so much that I am afraid of being in Iraq, I personally don't think I can handle the stress of the Army state side. I am pretty sure I would lose it, and do something stupid. That sounds really sad, but it's true.

I have grown up since I joined, and overcome some of my personal issues. My life was going great at the time I got my letter. I just started and $40,000 contract, I am happily married for almost 6 years, and our 5 year old son is growing up. Now they are asking me to go back into the single most excruciating job I have ever had. I held on for 4 years, using alcohol and antidepressants to keep me from losing it (sounds like I already did). Now that my life is in order they want me to go back.

Last edited:

jsdoe

chrisdizz22 said:
dont feel bad, lots of people are getting deployed- I leave at the end of this comming summer.
Thanks for the words of encouragement. Hopefully I won't meet you there. :)

chrisdizz22 said:
also with your business, couldnt you assign power of attorney over to your wife, or a good friend or something. and they could run it while yor gone.
Unfortunately, I don't know if my wife could handle the existing clients, since the business is highly technical. I don't think I know anyone that could handle it either.

chrisdizz22 said:
good luck
Thanks, and good luck to you.

gphjr

isdoe

Like I said before when you arrive at the SRP site produce your medical disabilities and see what they say. Bring every thing you got and hopefully they won't deploy you. But be prepared to deploy. Make the preparations to hire someone to run your business while you gone. The pool is so thin they are taking the sick, lame and lazy to Iraq. If your trigger finger works you can fight. I don't like it either but that is the way it is.

Davidzill

Just go to SRP and tell them you are not physically able, let them know your are a disabled person. But don't get your hopes up, I know of a national guard soldier who is5'7" 480lbs, 57 years old and they are sending him as an infantryman. They said if he can walk he is good to go. You probably won't be near any danger areas, because the active duty army and marines know how nasty and disgusting the national guard is and won't let there nastyness near any active duty areas. Most are guarding stuff like LSA's, and installations of that nature, because most are so overweight they would have a heart attack doing anything else. BTW it is so easy to fail a physical at SRP. Drink 5 cups of coffee before they take your pulse...sinus tachycardia....automaticly failed the physical. Tell them you have been having shortness of breath too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">