• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Posted Speed Limit Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ksigatmsu7f02

What is the name of your state? Texas

I have a question. It doesn't relate to a ticket since I haven't received one for this. I just wanted to know if this is legal.

In Mauriceville, TX when you enter in to town from the north the speed limit steps down from 70 to 65 to 55 then down to 50 as you get south of town where it proceeds to step back up to 70. However if you enter from the south of town it steps down the same from 70 to 65 to 50 but then down to 45 through town. What I am pointing out is that on a two lane highway with a turning lane through town, traveling south you have a speed limit of 55 but going north you have a speed limit of 45. I always passed this off as a mistake made by the state since it is a small town in the middle of nowhere. Basically I am asking if anyone knows whether it is legal to have diffrent speed limits for traveling diffrent directions on the same undivided road through a town.
Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

ksigatmsu7f02

I was thinking the same thing that one was lost, but the way the town is setup there actually isn't any place for another one. You would almost have to see it to understand. But basically one contradicts another going the other way. The town speed limits I know are controlled and set by the DPS since the town is not really a town. More of a spot on the map, with no local government. The easy solution is to call the DPS but I don't care to know the answer as much as it would take effort to even get through much less try to explain to someone up in Austin how speed limits are in error in a backwoods no name place. Thanks for the repliy though. Maybe it is the traffic flow is more hazardous in one way who knows. Its texas they know how to mess thinsg up....Im sure it will show up one day out of he blue like you say lol.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">