• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

B1 causing complications?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

socorrgn

What is the name of your state? Florida

Hi, I am a little stressed out with this situation- would appreciate some light shed on this.

I was previously on H1B, and was laid off. I left the U.S. and re-entered, explaining the situation to the customs officer at the border regarding the layoff- and that I had to meet with my lawyer. The officer was sympathetic gave me a B1 on the spot, and gave me status til March. I have since been actively looking for a new sponsor and recently was contacted by the same employer- who is interested in rehiring/re-sponsoring me for a green card. I'm now wondering if this is possible- that somehow the B1 is making things a little complicated...would I have to file a new H1, and then for GC- and how would this work anyhow since the visa quota has been filled? The company supposedly has not contacted immigration yet that I was laid off. But in any case, I am now in the US under B1. :confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">