• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wisconsin Adoption Laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mjlwisconsin

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

My husband wants to adopt my daugter. We have not been married more than a year but have been together for 6 years altogether. My daughter's biological father is willing to sign off his rights. Does anyone know what the time frame is that we have to wait before he can adopt? The agency that we spoke to about the in-home study said they will not perform the study until we have been married at least one year. I want to know if this is their preference, or an actual law in Wisconsin? Thanks.

VeronicaGia

mjlwisconsin said:
What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

My husband wants to adopt my daugter. We have not been married more than a year but have been together for 6 years altogether. My daughter's biological father is willing to sign off his rights. Does anyone know what the time frame is that we have to wait before he can adopt? The agency that we spoke to about the in-home study said they will not perform the study until we have been married at least one year. I want to know if this is their preference, or an actual law in Wisconsin? Thanks.
Typically it is a year. I know state laws vary, but what's the rush? Most judges want to know that marriages are stable before allowing an adoption.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">