• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need biofather's permission to adopt?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

destny

What is the name of your state?PA
Hello. I have another post on the child custody page. My ex boyfriend is from Canada, where I had my daughter ten years ago. He hasn't made any contact with her in seven years and now, all of the sudden, he contacted us, asking about her, etc. Seven years ago I asked him if my husband could adopt her, change her last name to the same as her sisters. He said no. My question is; do I still need his consent, even after all this time, to have my husband, whom she called daddy, adopt her and change her last name to his own? Thankyou.

haiku

Yes you will need his permission, and if he contests it could lead to a lengthy court battle if you persist with wanting to terminate.

A lawyer consult, is strongly reccomended in adoption cases. not properly following legal procedure can overturn a 'legal" adoption

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Yes, yes, and yes again. You are not going to bypass him, so you may as well stop looking for ways to do that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">