• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Status Change from B1/B2 to H1-B

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mike Chan

What is the name of your state? California

Hi, I need an advice regarding my plan to change my status from a B1/B2 to an H1-B. I've just arrived in the U.S., Is there a grace period that I have to wait for before I can be applied for an H1-B visa? If there is, how long should I wait before I can be applied for an H1-B visa?

Thanks very much.

ImmigAttyLana

Unless you have a Master's or a PhD from a US institution, you cannot apply for a H-1B until April 1, 2005, with a requested start date of employment of no earlier than October 1, 2005 because no more H-1B visas are available for the current fiscal year.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if I may be of further assistance to you in this matter.

Mike Chan

Hi Lana,

Many thanks for replying and giving your advice.

I have a follow-up question though. Let's say I arrived in the U.S. on February 10, 2005 with a B1/B2 visa and was given an offer to have my status changed to H1-B visa. Can I be applied for an H1-B visa on April 1, 2005? (considering that I've only been in the U.S. for less than 2 months). Won't I encounter any problems in my application?

Thanks again.

Mike

just_plain_dum

Lana: Don't forget, the cap does not apply to educational institutions. So depending on the degree (bachelors or higher) if you can find a position with an educational institution that will file for you (you can not file for H-1b for yourself) it may be possible to change status to H-1B at any time of the year.

Mike Chan

Hi Lana/Just Plain Dum,

Thanks for your advise.

Follow-up question, For example. Does that mean that I will not encounter any problems when my application for a change of status from B1/B2 to H1-B?

I've just arrived in the U.S. and come time that it is ok to file (April 1, 2005), I would have been in the U.S. for less than 2 months.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Mike Chan

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">