• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HOA fees sq footage and expenditures

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

geoegia

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I live in a condo that has three phases. The first is a 100 year old building that was occupied between one and two years before the second phase (new construction) was occupied. I was among the first in the second phase and have been here two years. Our HOA fees have just gone up due to a lack of reserve funds. We had a meeting to discuss the new budget and something was said that I did not think about at the time.

Phase one emptied all reserves into their building prior to Phase two being completed. It was explained that this was because they put in the money and should go to them. At the time I thought that made sense and was fair. The problem I have is that we in the new phases pay considerably more in fees than Phase one. It is based on square footage and our phase pays more but we all share the money.

My question is did HOA set a precedent that those who put in more money deserve more benefit from funds that will be into reserve? If not is there any way to get rid of this square footage garbage and have everybody pay the same? I was told this was enacted by the logic that if you can afford more condo, than you can afford more in fees, benefit or not. Luxury tax I suppose.

Sorry to be so long winded. Thank you for any help.

HomeGuru

geoegia said:
What is the name of your state? Georgia

I live in a condo that has three phases. The first is a 100 year old building that was occupied between one and two years before the second phase (new construction) was occupied. I was among the first in the second phase and have been here two years. Our HOA fees have just gone up due to a lack of reserve funds. We had a meeting to discuss the new budget and something was said that I did not think about at the time.

Phase one emptied all reserves into their building prior to Phase two being completed. It was explained that this was because they put in the money and should go to them. At the time I thought that made sense and was fair. The problem I have is that we in the new phases pay considerably more in fees than Phase one. It is based on square footage and our phase pays more but we all share the money.

My question is did HOA set a precedent that those who put in more money deserve more benefit from funds that will be into reserve? If not is there any way to get rid of this square footage garbage and have everybody pay the same? I was told this was enacted by the logic that if you can afford more condo, than you can afford more in fees, benefit or not. Luxury tax I suppose.

Sorry to be so long winded. Thank you for any help.
**A: your CC&R's rule until such time it is legally amended to follow a different method for calculating reserves etc. based on percentage of interest.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">