• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

condo owner in violation of bylaws, need advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

truebaca

I live in a condo just outside of Boston, MA. The Condo consists of 6 units. We are self-managed and we have 3 condo board members including myself. We recently discovered that one of the unit owners is renting out her unit. What came as a surprise was that she is renting "rooms". The unit is a 3 bedroom 1 floor dwelling. The owner has installed doors with locking knobs on each room, including what was originally the living room. The bylaws state more than two unrelated people by blood or marriage shall not occupy any unit. Currently there are 3 unrelated people living in this unit. There may even be a fourth. There have been many people that have moved in and out of the unit which has made other owners upset. In one case a tenant moved in at midnight on a Sunday night. What legal rights do we as the condo association have? What is the best way to pursue this problem?

nextwife

truebaca said:
The bylaws state more than two unrelated people by blood or marriage shall not occupy any unit.

I hope you mean blood, marriage OR adoption!

Anyway, you need a RE attorney to take action to enforce the bylaws.

HomeGuru

truebaca said:
I live in a condo just outside of Boston, MA. The Condo consists of 6 units. We are self-managed and we have 3 condo board members including myself. We recently discovered that one of the unit owners is renting out her unit. What came as a surprise was that she is renting "rooms". The unit is a 3 bedroom 1 floor dwelling. The owner has installed doors with locking knobs on each room, including what was originally the living room. The bylaws state more than two unrelated people by blood or marriage shall not occupy any unit. Currently there are 3 unrelated people living in this unit. There may even be a fourth. There have been many people that have moved in and out of the unit which has made other owners upset. In one case a tenant moved in at midnight on a Sunday night. What legal rights do we as the condo association have? What is the best way to pursue this problem?

**A: the HOA remedies are as stated in the CC&R's. Read them please.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">