• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Green Card or Citizenship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

goc

What is the name of your state?caWhat is the name of your state?

I have a green card which is valid for 6 more years. I have been in US (California) in full time employment for the entire 6 years. Now I want to go back to Europe, to my home country, and live there permanently.

I have not started the citizenship application process yet even though I am eligible. I would like to know if it is adviseable to move ahead with the application considering I do not intend to live here permanently?

If I do receive my citizenship and I do not live here permanently will I need to file a tax return every year? And hence pay taxes on any income from my home country?

Thanks.

Chris Brunot

Hey I became a US citizen a few months ago, but I suggest you consult a good attorney for this purpose, otherwise you will end up loosing a lot of money on consultations with quacks.

I happened to use an online service at consultattorney.visapro.com just for a try as the consultation fee they charged was very less. And really, they have given what other attorneys could not. For just 75 bucks I talked for about half hour with their attorney who clarified all my doubts.

Then I processed my citizenship application through them and today I am a proud citizen.

ImmigAttyLana

If you do become a citizen, you CAN live anywhere in the world you like and not lose your status as a US citizen. If you do not, you will lose your permanent resident status in the US. You need to check to make sure your country of current citizenship permits you to retain its citizenship upon taking the citizenship oath as a US citizen. Also, US citizens are taxed on their worldwide income.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if I may be of further assistance to you in this matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">